NSW Electricity Suppliers - Who has the best deal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I need to get an electricity supplier for my place, but looking briefly they all seem expensive as **** with plans harder to work out than an Aveo retirement village contract

I dont use much at all ( was paying $30/pw and ended up in credit )

Who has the best prices and best to deal with

You will get a lot of different answers to that question, but I have found Lumo to be OK for me, my prices actually dropped slightly from last years prices taking off some of the service to property charges for gas and electricity.

They get you with the supply charge even if not using a lot of electricity.

They get you with the supply charge even if not using a lot of electricity.

Yeah I know that

I just want a pay-as-you-use plan, not a " Here is 500KW/h for $x, if you dont use it all then tuff titties "

They'll all change as of July 1 anyway (well most states anyway). Might be best to hold off a few days and see what the retailers offer. Also, don't be fooled by the ones offering a massive discount.....if their base rates are high then the massive discount might not count for much against a retailer with a smaller discount and lower rate.

Disclaimer: I work in energy brokerage for commercial/industrial clients.

I tried online comparisons. Live chat with a suppliers etc. Get them to do the maths because there is so many different configurations on billing too hard to work out the bottom line cheapest bill. If you go for the larger % discounts then the rate is higher etc etc. I don't like direct debiting but I gave in to it for 30% discount. Direct debit means you cant stuff up by not paying before due date and get stung paying 30% more.
I stayed with Lumo after challenging them to give me a better deal then other options. Also no obligation or locked in contract keeps them honest.

Last edited:
I was just paying $30/w every week via Bpay in my current place, but I now need to change it to my name

I just want cheap and simple for low usage.

I dont have Air-cons or heaters and have solar hot water ( with booster ) and I tend to live in the dark.

I use Red Energy, mainly because they are 100% Aussie but decent rate too (Energy Australia is offshore dispite the name). Going to be interesting what happens soon with electricity, so it might be good to do a deal early.

Have to be careful as a lot have clauses in them and don't guarantee that there will be no increases

Sister went with RED Energy as they offered her a better deal then put it up a month later, they came round here and offered a cheaper daily supply charge to counter their dear kw charge compared to whom i'me with (origen) but i told them to piss orf.

I am about to review mine and will have to review some of the suppliers, but what pisses me off is they offer better deals to new customers and do SFA for existing

Have you checked out powershop?

I went from a mainstream supplier to Lumo, and then to Powershop.

I've been with Powershop for more than a year. They were definitely cheaper when I first switched and I was very happy with them. I couldn't really tell you if they're still cheaper now - as prices just keep going up and up (across the board, with every supplier).

Have to be careful as a lot have clauses in them and don't guarantee that there will be no increases

Sister went with RED Energy as they offered her a better deal then put it up a month later, they came round here and offered a cheaper daily supply charge to counter their dear kw charge compared to whom i'me with (origen) but i told them to piss orf.

I am about to review mine and will have to review some of the suppliers, but what pisses me off is they offer better deals to new customers and do SFA for existing
You don't ask you don't get. As my above post I compared deals then went to my supplier to challenge them to do better to keep me as a customer...I think I dropped 20% off gas/electricity combo off my bills. That plus the offset from my new solar panels I should be doing pretty well. Considering they are threatening that we are all about to get clobbered with energy bill increases.

My sister uses an app service and she buys power in chunks every month or so.

Unfortunately cant remember what it was called but she reckons she saves heaps - just need to be prepared to shop suppliers as needed.

My sister uses an app service and she buys power in chunks every month or so.

Unfortunately cant remember what it was called but she reckons she saves heaps - just need to be prepared to shop suppliers as needed.

Do tell Mr B

Yep we use Powershop too and the only thing you have to do extra is read your own meter if you want the best deal. No hassle really and you deposit money as you go. They often have "deals" so you buy blocks of power on "special" as well as having a pretty good base rate. They just upped our solar feed in to 12.8c i think which is pretty competitive with the biggies.
Guess by paying up front they have your cash to use but my wife usually only has $50 -60 in credit at any time.

Yep we use Powershop too and the only thing you have to do extra is read your own meter if you want the best deal. No hassle really and you deposit money as you go. They often have "deals" so you buy blocks of power on "special" as well as having a pretty good base rate. They just upped our solar feed in to 12.8c i think which is pretty competitive with the biggies.
Guess by paying up front they have your cash to use but my wife usually only has $50 -60 in credit at any time.
Solar feed in do solar have smart meters and they send the readings over the mobile phone network and no meter reading.

Wynnum1, mostly true, tends to be a state based thing. There are still a lot of Solar installs in NSW which have old meters. Been in the press a bit. My business partner's still hasn't had his installed nearly 18 months after panel install. His meter goes backwards (he reckons). Victoria did a wholesale swap to smart meters.

Latest posts

Back