Nsw Amateur Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave for all your time and effort very much apppreciated. Congratulations to all who entered and a :D if you gained a place. A big high five to Sam and Michael, well done.
:beer:

A great big thanks to all those involved for dedicating their own time. Well done :beer:

Thanks to everyone involved, your hard work and dedication to run such a top shelf event is greatly appreciated and to be commended :beerbang:

My bad...had the entry fee down as $10 instead of $7 for Entry.

For those of us who paid $10 per entry, will there be a refund of monies accompanying the scoresheets?

Well done to all the entrants. I'll be joining some of you on the Nationals entrants list :beerbang:

BOS a Rauchbier! That's awesome!
Well done to everyone involved.

For those of us who paid $10 per entry, will there be a refund of monies accompanying the scoresheets?

Well done to all the entrants. I'll be joining some of you on the Nationals entrants list :beerbang:
That's the plan. Didn't personally handle any money, but these details were recorded.

Thanks a lot to all the organisers!1

Pretty stoked my Stout came 3rd! Would be interested to see what everyone scored.

Cheers guys!

Adding my thanks as well. No doubt a massive undertaking that provides lots of valuable feedback to brewers.

Happy to sneak a 4th for my AIPA, especially given it was only just carbed and it was a smallish boil volume (6-8L) partial. Not surprised that my Euro lager got second last, will no doubt come with a list of faults to work on!

I actually had my bottles mixxed up and couldn't remember if it was a chocolate vanilla stout or a dry irish stout. I am sure the score sheet will reflect that.

Any chance of seeing the scores? or am I asking too much at the moment..

Final checking found some clerical errors - which have been resolved but not fully tripple checked.

So thanks to all the folks that were posting here about the progress of the results - it really does help to know that I am working so hard, at a personal cost to my family and business, for such patient folks. :angry:

The preliminary results are attached - many thanks to all those good folks who have spent many hundreds of hours making this comp possible.

Dave

View attachment 56746

A massive two thumbs up to the HUB club, any helpers and Potters for keeping another NSW state comp alive at very late notice.

I remember being an impatient entrant (so will Dave :p) but in the end, these gigs (any brew comp) are run by volunteers giving up their own personal time, at personal cost, to hold an event...... unpaid...... that could so easily be lost if no-one tried.

I didn't enter this year, but i still commend the efforts made by all involved!

Dave....... if you ever need help with crunching numbers for a brew comp....... please feel free to ask me for help. I live with databases and spreadsheets working in automation, and would gladly give up some time to help out if needed, HUB member, entrant or not! If you plan to run judge training again, i will put a hand up too.

cheers

Thanks all involved for your efforts. Chuffed with the results and look forward to getting feedback sheets.

Cheers
Rod

Big thanks to all involved in judging and organising the comp, sorry I couldn't make it up to help judge / steward.

Very happy with the BOS! I thought my american ales would do well this year, but the rauch came through in the end!

Big thanks to Barls who gave me some of his home smoked malt that I used in that batch :beer:

There is only one bottle left now. Patiently waiting in the fridge for the nats :)

Big thanks to all involved in judging and organising the comp, sorry I couldn't make it up to help judge / steward.

Very happy with the BOS! I thought my american ales would do well this year, but the rauch came through in the end!

Big thanks to Barls who gave me some of his home smoked malt that I used in that batch :beer:

There is only one bottle left now. Patiently waiting in the fridge for the nats :)

Congrats, and good luck at the AABC......... would be great to see a NSW'shman take it out.

Perhaps Barls can elaborate on the smoked malt? Im a fan of hone smoking malt!

Congrats, and good luck at the AABC......... would be great to see a NSW'shman take it out.

Perhaps Barls can elaborate on the smoked malt? Im a fan of hone smoking malt!

Thanks Tony. I'd love to see NSW do better at the nationals this year too. I think we have a lot of great brewers.

Here is my recipe. I'm sure Barls will chime in the with details on the smoked malt (I can't remember what wood it was smoked with).

15m hops were in the cube (no chilled). I chilled the cube down to 8C in my fermentation fridge then pitched 2 packs of rehydrated S-189, then let it rise to 10C for a couple of days, then raised to 12C for two weeks. I brewed it in late Jan, so it's been lagering for a while.

Recipe: Rauch the Casbah
Style: 22A-Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beer-Classic Rauchbier

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 26.50 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l
Water Added: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.057 SG
Expected OG: 1.069 SG
Expected FG: 1.018 SG
Expected ABV: 6.7 %
Expected ABW: 5.3 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 38.9
Expected Color: 16.2 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 72.5 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 10 degC

Fermentables
German Smoked Malt 3.000 kg (43.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Pilsner Malt 2.000 kg (28.8 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 1.000 kg (14.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
Barls' Home Smoked Malt 0.500 kg (7.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich III 0.250 kg (3.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Melanoidin Malt 0.100 kg (1.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa Special III 0.100 kg (1.4 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
NZ Pacific Gem (16.9 % alpha) 13 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
NZ Pacific Gem (16.9 % alpha) 15 g Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End

Other Ingredients

Yeast: DCL S-189-SafLager

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)
Step: Rest at 68 degC for 60 mins

Recipe Notes

ok lets see, ive changed the method a few times so it was ether 90 degrees for 8 hours or cold smoked for 16 hours. im leaning towards 8 hours at 90.
it would of been a mix of maple, red cedar and black heart sassafras.
i soak the malt for about 10 minutes then add to the smoker. i refill the smoker every 4 hours and also stir the grain. its a rebadged hark smoker unit
ive currently got a rauch lagering for anhc club night that has some from the same batch.
ive also been playing with plum and apple smoked.
any more questions feel free to ask and ill try to answer them.
this is the second time someone has used my grain and placed in this comp.

big cheers for HUB for organising the comp and congrats to BOS, runner up and all place getters

how does one go about progressing to the AABC now?

I had the pleasure of tasting the last two beers after the judging of the BOS round.
Both were sensational but the Rauch was something special, a superbly brewed beer, flawless and a deserving winner.
Congratulations on such a splendid effort, especially for style where it is so hard to get balance right
Mark

Back