November Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brend0n

Reaction score
Hey all, ive had two batches brewing since november. Sorry to say i forgot about them.Would they still be ok to bottle? what should i look for? Also can you prime with castor sugar

Hey all, ive had two batches brewing since november. Sorry to say i forgot about them.Would they still be ok to bottle? what should i look for? Also can you prime with castor sugar
Have you tasted them ??
Fair chance that the will be some yeast autolysis going on...that's a vegemite taste to the uninnitiated...
Let me also ask you where you had them ...because if you've forgotten about them , there is a fair chance they were not being cared for in a temp controlled fridge....more likely the garage or back room ?
How hot did they get ?? How sanitary were you before you forgot about them ??
Look for a funky looking mould on the top if it is infected...smell it...taste it...it'll tell you wether you should bottle...
Also..castor sugar is finer than regular sugar , so you will need less to prime a bottle...

Also..castor sugar is finer than regular sugar , so you will need less to prime a bottle...

Just to be specific...
Less in terms of volume, same in terms of mass.
So if you're bulk priming you use the same weight of castor sugar compared to regular sugar.
But if you're using spoon to prime per bottle you'd need a slightly smaller spoon for the caster sugar.

yeah in the back of the garage, i normally keep them in the house to keep them cooler, tasted them and there rooted as. Next question would be the days of keeping them in the house is over, not allowd anymore <_< so if i use a fridge do i keep the fridge at what temp, i like pilsners mainly

yeah in the back of the garage, i normally keep them in the house to keep them cooler, tasted them and there rooted as. Next question would be the days of keeping them in the house is over, not allowd anymore <_< so if i use a fridge do i keep the fridge at what temp, i like pilsners mainly
Well my friend.....
Now is the time to start doing some research....
STC 1000 temp controller...get one..
Real Pilseners are lagers...use a REAL lager yeast and ferment at 10 ( YES 10 ) degree's....
Also...give the fermenter a real good clean AND then sanitise....before you use it again...
The "back of the garage" is not good enough , if you want to start making better beer...you need a fermenting fridge...coupled with the stc 1000 yemp controller...look on ebay for it...
I'd suggest you also have a look at a book called "How to brew" By John Palmer (there is an online version)
Forgetting about beer fermenting will only end in tears IMHO...
Good luck
F

Latest posts

Back