Nothing's Too Bizarre In Barossa Beer...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
I got to have a quick taste and a look at the Tanunda Show Beer Comp today.
Bit hard to find, but was an excellent job by the Tanunda show, GMK and presumably a few of the BBC blokes and some ring ins.
Ken was pouring a mid strength beer (loaded with Saaz) for the punters and a damn fine extract brew it was too! :beer: Good way to get the public interested on a hot day.

Darren, can you remember most of the entries in your unusual class you were judging? :D
I remember some unusual ones :lol: It's not all glory for these beer judges ;)

Who's a pretty boy then?
JK74602.jpg

Yep I totally agree the boys put on a great show, as a first time entrant in the Tanunda Show I was impressed by the number of entries, the encouraging feed back left by the judge and the overall atmosphere there on the day. It was a damn shame I didn't get to watch the demos or get a taste of the sample brew. But still I walked away a happy man, thought I did well for a relative newbie in the game and have plenty of homework to do before my next comp .

It was also great to finally meet Ken and Clive in person, I'm looking forward to attending a BBC meeting eventually. :D

All in all a great day out!!!!

3Monkey debuted at the Tanunda Show today - I posted elsewhere. But can I say again, we had an absolute blast and can't wait to get more involved. The beers were nothing short of fantastic.

Cheers to the Barossa Brewers Club, particularly Clive, Ken and Mark.

Ken was pouring a mid strength beer (loaded with Saaz)

Ditto. The Pilsner was a good drop and apparently others thought so. Went back to bleed another and bugger me it was all gone. On a sadder note, I loaded up my left over entry bottles and headed of home to Nuri parked the car in the garage opened the boot so I would not forget to unload, and then went inside. The daughter comes in later and said "daddy this come off one of your bottles" went to have a look and what a f%**#ng mess. :angry: Glass and beer everywhere. Worst of all it was my second place London Porter!! Spoke to GMK and he couldn't shed any light on it. I think it was one of the beer sections he didnt win. :p

BYB

Tangent,

yes certainly an interesting class. Belgians and specialty beers all mixed into one class :( .

The most unusal beers must have been the peanut paste beer and just as bad the Vegemite beer :blink: .
Apart from those two the rest were pretty good :beerbang: .

cheers

Darren

:D When you told me you had a Vegemite beer, I thought you meant a beer suffering from a bad case of autolosys, but then you said "and there's the one with peanut butter." :lol:

:D When you told me you had a Vegemite beer, I thought you meant a beer suffering from a bad case of autolosys, but then you said "and there's the one with peanut butter." :lol:

Tangent,

The brewer was present at the table during the judging. He told me he actually added vegemite. Same with the peanut paste, the lemon, the chilli, the chilli-ginger-lemongrass, the mango and I am sure I have forgotten some.

I think GMK won the class with a Flanders Red. Not sure if he intentionally made it that way :unsure: .

cheers

Darren

Tangent,

The brewer was present at the table during the judging. He told me he actually added vegemite. Same with the peanut paste,

Darren

thats the Barrossa for ya,just far enough from Adelaide to encourage a little cross/in breeding that would'n't happen in the city. :p

Nothing's Too Bizarre In Barossa Beer...,

When I read that heading I knew I would see a pic of GMK ! :beerbang:
Yep! Second post

On ya Kenny :beer:

Batz

ThanksBatz...and everyone.

the brewer of the Vegemite and peanut butter beer is also a BBC Member...

Someone said to him - you can't put that in a beer ...yes I can and I did...

We had 110 entries...

3 "A" Class judges:
- Darren
- Clive Wilson
- GMK

3 apprentice judges:
Dave1 from teh BBB FM Wine show
Dave2 from the BBB FM Wine Show
an ex chef who was doing video recording...

Maggie Beer and her husband dropped by as well...

It was a good day - but we need more "A" and/or BJCP Judges for next year.

Our aim is to go for 8 classes next year...
break the speciality 31 entries into 3 classes:
- fruit/spice/vegetable,
- Belgian, and
- speciality big beers.

Hopefully we can get more entries next years...

Big thanks to the sponsors:
- Coopers
- Barossa Brewing Company
- Brewmaker
- AHB - I donanted some AHB gear (hat, stubby holder) for some prizes... didnt think Dane would mind. :super:

you must be visiting different northern burbs than me Dave :p

Good work Ken :beer:

Yeah good work Ken!

What is an"A" class judge?
is it an official thing or just a self proclaimed title?

And as for those Northern Burbs tangent,I spent 5 years of my life working at the Elizabeth Shitty centre(which does validate your point),and try to avoid wandering into the DMZ these dayz

Kenny I think, failed to mention this bloke won the best beer (Grand Champion) of the comp. K&K brewer. :lol: He took the big arse trophy.
BYB

Yeah good work Ken!

What is an"A" class judge?
is it an official thing or just a self proclaimed title?

And as for those Northern Burbs tangent,I spent 5 years of my life working at the Elizabeth Shitty centre(which does validate your point),and try to avoid wandering into the DMZ these dayz

we had judges and assistant guest judges...
the lead judge we called "A" Class - the assistant/guest judges were just judges...

That was all - not a self claimed tittle.

Nothing's Too Bizarre In Barossa Beer...,

When I read that heading I knew I would see a pic of GMK ! beerbang.gif
Yep! Second post

On ya Kenny beer.gif

Batz

Also got your photo in the local paper Ken! B)

Back