Not your average pouring problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgedgerton

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a fairly standard keg set up: 3.1 mtrs 5 ml id line to flow control taps at an average pouring pressure of about 10 PSI, and the system has been working well for quite some time. Beer I carb up at serving pressure, and in generally working well. I now have a Scotch ale (we heavy) that pours foam. Thought I had over carbed, let pressure out and recarbed at 8 psi, and still pours foam. Changed line and tap, still the same. Wondering if the draw tube in the keg may have a slight blockage that's making the beer foam? Any Ideas would be appreciated, because this one has stumped me

Is there nucleation occurring on the liquid out post side of the keg or in the line?

Try the O-Ring under the dip-tube post on the keg. It can be damaged enough to let some CO2 push through along with the beer, sort of like an inline aerator.
Depressurise the keg, undo the post, lift the dip tube up, slide the O-Rind down 10-15mm, take a couple of turns of PTFE plumbing tape around the dip tube and over the O-Ring, press the dip tube down and screw the post back on.

Can be caused by crud caught in the post or disconnect springs, have a look for that when you take the keg post off.
You aren't the first.
Had one that was caused by a pinhole in the dip tube, worked well for the first half of the keg, then served foam, was a bugger to find.
Mark

Also check for hop debris in the poppet springs in all your disconnects/posts.

Was it a new keg? I've just had the same problem, first half poured fine then nothing but foam. Ruined the beer. Might check for pinholes like you suggested mark

Try the O-Ring under the dip-tube post on the keg. It can be damaged enough to let some CO2 push through along with the beer, sort of like an inline aerator.
Depressurise the keg, undo the post, lift the dip tube up, slide the O-Rind down 10-15mm, take a couple of turns of PTFE plumbing tape around the dip tube and over the O-Ring, press the dip tube down and screw the post back on.

Can be caused by crud caught in the post or disconnect springs, have a look for that when you take the keg post off.
You aren't the first.
Had one that was caused by a pinhole in the dip tube, worked well for the first half of the keg, then served foam, was a bugger to find.
Mark
Sounds like a plan. That may well be happening if the co2 is getting into the line

Thanks for all your input, I think you're probably on the right track

looking to see if your beer line is filled with beer or foam/CO2 will tell you if the foam is being created at the keg or at the tap.... good place to start to narrow the field.

I have KK flow control taps and have found a few times that the o-ring in the tap (where you can screw off the nozzle to change it, eg to a stout spout) can end up shredded and be a cause for foaming. Removing/changing it fixed my problem

Not the tap as I have changed that out. One thing I have found is the compression on the O ring for the pick-up tube on the Corny keg is very minimal as you screw the post down. No wonder with a bit of age this seal could be (and probably is) the cause of my problem.

Back