Not Very Clear Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Ok, I know it is my first ag beer but I thought it would be much more clear that it is. Factors that I know about. I used Joe White trad Ale, some say it doesnt attenutate as well, I batch sparged and did not take a ph reading, I used WL 051 which should clear well, I did not use the beer filter. My thoughts are that I have some sort of haze. Are their any mashing techniques that I should be doing now on my 3 ag that will stop any haze????

jimmyjack,

Some discussion on cloudy beer on this recent thread...
Cloudy Wort Thread

Always a good idea to search around a bit first.
:)

chill haze can be a problem on ag beers but then im starting to drink my beer warmer so it aint so bad

Jimmijack,

things that will make your beer clear

Take a little trouble to recirculate the first runnings from your mash tun could be the first five litres .
slow the start of the run off then gradually get a bit faster .

skim the scum before you add you hops at the first rolling boil .

maintain a good rolling boil .

add your Irish Moss fifteen mins from the end of the boil .

get a good chill to cool wort .

dont take too much of protein drop out from the kettle ,

If you worry about loosing some of wort in the the trub at bottom of the kettle pour into a gallon jar put glad wrap and place in the fridge overnight when it seperates add back into the fermenting wort minus the heavy trub.

when your beer is fermented out place into a fridge at 2C for a week or so .

if you beer is still a bit hazy in the bottle it should eventually drop out if you lager it a bit more at low temperature .

Pumpy

Thx pump thats exactly what i needed. How do you skim the gunk from the beginning of the boil? Spoon it off i suppose, My second ag i recirculated alot more and I believe that it will help get a clearer beer. Your also right about leaving the trub behind in the boiler. i dont have ball valves yet and siphon, I think I need to stop the siphon earlier.

Back