Not sure what I've created: Planet Fuggles IIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IR44

Reaction score
So the other day I impulse bought 100g of Fuggles (30% off at LHBS), checked the date on them when I got home and they are 2014 harvest (explains the discounted price :eek:). Got sucked in with the discount, never brewed with Fuggles before, so didn't really know what to do with them

Also had 120g of Galaxy hops that I was keen to use (2017 harvest thank god), as they were not vacuum packed and wanted to use them ASAP.

I got a few hours spare on the weekend, so threw together the below recipe (with probably less thought than i should have put into it) with what grains I had on hand and went for it:).

I'm expecting the IBU to be lower than Brewers Friend predicts, mainly due to the old Fuggles hops (who knows how they have been stored for the last 3-4 years). Hoping the Galaxy flavours will carry the beer through to drinkable.

In hind sight, I’m wondering why I chose to use the Fuggles hops once I realised how old they were. Also can’t find any recipes putting Fuggles and Galaxy together, hoping there isn’t a good reason for that :oops:.

But what’s done is done, so here’s to riding it out and hoping for a win :cool:

No idea how it will turn out. If it’s substandard, then I'm thinking I’ll change the name to "Fuggles Fail"

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/618376/planet-fuggles-iipa

You probably won't taste the fuggles, fresh galaxy will stomp all over them, especially considering how old they are.

You will also be dealing with a shit ton of harsh bitterness having used galaxy so early in the boil. It's a lesson I learned the hard way....

Agree - personally I'd concentrate on the fuggles for bittering and galaxy in the whirlpool.

*Professor Farnsworth voice* Good news everybody

I originally built the brewers friend recipe of memory on Monday (brew was on Sat), but just checked my brew notes from the day and i only used 20g Fuggles for the 60 min boil and no Galaxy. So hopefully i've avoided the "shit ton of harsh bitterness ;)" from the galaxy hops

So Hop scheduled was as follows:

20 g Fuggles Pellet Boil 60 min 6.13
20 g Fuggles Pellet Boil 20 min 3.71
20 g Galaxy Pellet Boil 20 min 14.86
20 g Fuggles Pellet Boil 10 min 2.22
20 g Galaxy Pellet Boil 10 min 8.9
20 g Fuggles Pellet Whirlpool
20 g Galaxy Pellet Whirlpool
20 g Fuggles Pellet Dry Hop 5 days
40 g Galaxy Pellet Dry Hop 5 days

Given the age of the fuggles hops, the IBU's are going to be lower again.

This actually turned out pretty tasty. Will have no problems getting through the Keg :)

Were you able to distinguish any fuggles in the aroma/flavour? Or was it like most said, only galaxy

It is definitely primarily galaxy flavours. But there is a really pleasent earthy flavour behind the galaxy which I'm pretty sure is the fuggles.
The more I drink it the more I am enjoying it.

Back