Not So Super Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hirns

Reaction score
:icon_vomit: Well I've not had an infection for a number of years so I guess I had to go all out! Did Boonie's LCPA and was not happy that the US05 had done the job, so rather than rouse it I pitched a packet of Cooper's International yeast and a second packet of Cooper's standard yeast. Four days later and presto!

Surprisingly it smells fine.

Hirns :(

Beer.jpg

Damn. Infections are never fun... but at least it looks FREAKING AWESOME!

Damn. Infections are never fun... but at least it looks FREAKING AWESOME!

Certainly the time of year for infections, I have to admit, probably one of the cooler looking infection pics iv'e seen,

If it's powdery stuff on top, syphon into keg (or bottles) but stop before you get the surface stuff sucked in. Chill, carb and drink fast :lol:

I've had something like that in the past (although not as Mega as yours), usually when I leave it too long before kegging, and I haven't noticed any taste issues.

YMMV

Campbell

lol, your infection has "infected" my AHB.... every post i look at now has a lovely pic of your infection at the top and bottom - see pics

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

ive tried a dozen posts and sure enough, there she is....

... its alive..... :eek:

If it's powdery stuff on top, syphon into keg (or bottles) but stop before you get the surface stuff sucked in. Chill, carb and drink fast :lol:

I've had something like that in the past (although not as Mega as yours), usually when I leave it too long before kegging, and I haven't noticed any taste issues.

YMMV

Campbell

And so fast... It's been there 14 days but I've let the temp get up to 27 from 19 over the last two days. Yesterday there was still a layer of green hop soup on top, this morning... Magic Mushrooms :blink: .

That fermenter is mighty full :lol:

Hows it taste?

Definitely a cool looking picture though, looks like some surreal kinda lunar landscape. I'm somewhat new to brewing so yet to endure an infection thankfully *touch wood*

My experience with bubbling infections like that (but not as massive!) is that they grow massively once you let air in ;)

Quick, keg/bottle the bottom layer!!!

Whats that black thing hanging in your fermenter?

you should throw the piccie in HERE though it's not going to help anyone identify a 'suspected' infection... but is totally in keeping with the thread :)

fkin fearsome dude.. :unsure:

Whats that black thing hanging in your fermenter?

The black thing is my temperature probe. Tasted tonight and tasted like unfermented wort still(but not infected). After three lots of yeast not liking it, I've called it a day and tipped my first batch in many years.
The funny thing is that I've done this recipe four or five times (over about 4yrs) and always ended up with a cloyingly sweer beer that has not fermented out despite temperature control and 12g of US05 or even pitching onto a yeast cake. Everyone else seems to rave on about how this recipe is the one time that all grain is not better :angry: !

Woah! I've just set the picture as my desktop background. Doesn't take in the bucket so it's harder to tell what it is!

I have yet to have any infections (only 3 brews done), but if I do ever have one I hope it's like that. If your wort is going to get infected, you might as well do it in style!

So I thought I saw something strange - zoomed in and fired up the old "image enhance" function... and... well - see for yourself!

Back