Not one bubble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Reaction score
hi, I just made a brew on Sunday and there has not been one bubble. Nothing. Dead as. Would that indicate bad yeast? Or something else. I followed recipe to the tee. Appreciate thoughts.

Was it a kit yeast, wouldn't hurt to give it a stir to try and rouse it.

Was it a kit yeast, wouldn't hurt to give it a stir to try and rouse it.

Thanks. It wasn’t a kit yeast. However I ended up giving it a big shake yesterday (it’s a small Carboy) and it started. It was like the yeast was asleep. Anyway, she is bubbling now. All good. Good learning for me that it does take a few days sometimes. Thanks for your help.

Good learning for me that it does take a few days sometimes.
If it’s taken a few days to start it may not be your yeast that’s fermenting it.

This has happened to me & I always become very nervous about the possible reasons & possible outcomes.
Fermentation should always start within 24 hours even if a bit difficult to detect.
Even well thought of yeasts can be slow starters (US-05); & two sachets of Coopers yeast will almost always be underway in 4 to 6 hours.
Hope your brew turns out OK

One of the best tips I got starting out in home brewing, was, get to know your yeast, know its likes and dislikes. Yeast are subject to many stresses, help the yeast in avoiding those stresses, keep them happy and they will reward you. There is plenty of literature out there it is well worthwhile reading it.
Glad to see the wort has progressed to fermenting Kev no matter what the strain may be.

Agree entirely Reg, reading up on yeast will give more home brewers the respect of this single cell fungi, which is more complex than people give credit for.

This has happened to me & I always become very nervous about the possible reasons & possible outcomes.
Fermentation should always start within 24 hours even if a bit difficult to detect.
Even well thought of yeasts can be slow starters (US-05); & two sachets of Coopers yeast will almost always be underway in 4 to 6 hours.
Hope your brew turns out OK
Thanks Reg. Appreciate your reply. I might do some reading on yeast to learn more. The brew is progressing well now. Here’s hoping

Latest posts

Back