Not China or Russia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
I think most have seen the videos from dash cams in Russia and China of wheels coming off. Sitting at an intersection on Springvale road when I heard a bang. This bloody great truck wheel had hit the car at the side of me took off the drivers side front panel, bumper bar and lights catapulted into the air over the top of my bonnet and took of at speed down the service road. I came to a halt by hitting the back of an old Honda, would hazard a guess the car is now a write off.
001.JPG

Heard about a wheel coming off a truck on gateway arterial road in Brisbane that went bush and they did a search to recover and could not find so how far could it have gone.

Rule of thumb for insurance companys writing off a car is if the damage totals more than a third of the replacement cost of the vehicle. According to the panel beaters who repaired the thirteen odd grand worth of damage inflicted on my last Hilux by a kid driving on a Mumbai licence, who then offered me his even more worthless Hyundai Getz as compensation if I didn't call the cops, who then went on to arrange his insurance on the side of the road, who apparently fled the country shortly thereafter, according to my insurer. What a character.

Not a lot you can do once bits come away from a moving load.
I had a lot tamer near miss on the freeway near moe a few years ago. Whilst driving along a fire extinguisher dislodged from a tanker driving in front of me. It hit the road and literally bounced directly over my vehicle it then took another bounce behind me then pitched into the road surface again before deflecting at near a 45 deg angle into the roadside vegatation narrowly missing the car behind me.

The track driver would have been totally unawate of the scenario and likely assumed someone pinched his missing extinguisher.

That could have been so much worse. 1 or 2 seconds either way and who knows, best not to contemplate.

I had an axle break on a tandem trailer once and the wheel went bouncing off the side of the road and into a wire fence. I'd just turned a corner when it happened, so I was driving slowly. Pretty scary when you think about other possible outcomes, if it was in a different location, faster speed, public place, etc.

Hope everyone is ok.

That could have been so much worse. 1 or 2 seconds either way and who knows, best not to contemplate.

I had an axle break on a tandem trailer once and the wheel went bouncing off the side of the road and into a wire fence. I'd just turned a corner when it happened, so I was driving slowly. Pretty scary when you think about other possible outcomes, if it was in a different location, faster speed, public place, etc.

Hope everyone is ok.
I used to have a F100 years ago and the tail shaft would drop out, often wondered what would have happened if the shaft had hit a pot hole as I was doing 80 o_O

Many years ago driving to an Australian surf life saving titles in Sydney ( from the Gold Coast ) , we were surprised to see our surf boat, still attached to the tow bar, overtake us. It somehow missed all the oncoming traffic, before venturing off the road and rolling multiple times. Few broken oars and a hole in the boat which the builder Bob Miles fixed for us in time to compete. Very lucky..

on my wedding day 5 years ago we realized an hour and a half before the ceremony we had no cash to pay the caterer. we were in a house in the country so my mate drove me to an ATM in the closest town about 20 min away

got the cash and were driving out of town and in front of us their was an old land cruiser ute . we are chatting away and the front passenger side wheel of the ute just comes off in slow motion , hits the gutter and launches into the air over a low brick fence in front of a house,land and rolls and crashes into their front door. meanwhile the ute just keeps cruising along on 3 wheels for a bit then he realizes and pulls over

my mate said 'did you see that shit" and I said ' yeah, reckon that means I shouldn't get married ?"

Back