Not A Dark Beer Fan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am loving porters at the moment. I love the malty darks and can take a reasonable hint of smoke/roast but I've had a couple of Stouts in my earlier days that were too roasty for me at the time. May have changed a bit by now though.

I've got my first Porter brewing at home right now and I still have a Porteramarillo waiting at home to try - I just haven't found the right time to sit down and enjoy it yet. I can't get enough of them.

But I guess at the end of the day, if you realy don't like them then you just don't like them. There are plenty of others to try, however I'd personably be a bit upset if my tastebuds didn't agree with 'dark' beers such as light as JSAA!

grand ridge hatlifter stout, one legendary stout!

From my younger days I was never one to drink darker beers...stout and the like
I just didnt like the taste. Since then have stuck with lagers and pales.
Now that Im back into the brewing after a long lay off Ive decided to try as many different beers as posible to
increase my understand and awareness of whats out there...though this can be difficult in the bush with a limited variety available.
Anyway a few months back I took a chance and grabbed a Coopers Stout for the bottlo.....
well that lasted 3 sips and went down the drain...Ok I still cant drink stout...
Right now I am sitting with a James Squire Amber Ale.....seems to me I am NOT a dark beer fan.....all I can taste is burnt crap..
Its a shame because I believe that its probably a very good beer within its style, nice body,head,feel..but not for me.

Oh well I know what not to brew.... :icon_vomit:

I look upon you with pity.

I dont really understand what your point is here Yum.
Are you trying to like dark beers for someone else's sake? or trying to be convinced what you dont like is good because someone else says so?
For me, there's not enough time or money to brew that way.
Brew what you like to drink mate. There's a gazilion beers out there to try.
Maybe look at the BJCP guide lines and inch your way up the scale of dark/ roastiness till you hit your personal limit. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Im not trying to like any kind of ber in particular, I'm just making some general comments on my experiences.
I make what I like to drink, and drink what I like to make.

To almost everyone else......is this Dan Murphy some exotic beer paradise.....my local bottlo's range of beers total about 30 varieties....about 20 being local megaswill.
im not sure that you guys arent swearing at me with some of the names your throwing around. :lol:

Southwark Stout got me in to it
I drunk it to get my weight above 65kg when I was 21, it worked a bit to well as I am now about 94kg

Persist and you will appreciate most stouts, porters or darks a bit to much

I dont really understand what your point is here Yum.
Are you trying to like dark beers for someone else's sake? or trying to be convinced what you dont like is good because someone else says so?
For me, there's not enough time or money to brew that way.
Brew what you like to drink mate. There's a gazilion beers out there to try.
Maybe look at the BJCP guide lines and inch your way up the scale of dark/ roastiness till you hit your personal limit. :icon_cheers:
Daz
+1
I agree.
if you don't like dark beers.. don't drink dark beers.
each for their own.
what is important ,,, is to know what you do like and drink that ... if you want to wander slightly from that then do... but only if you find that wandering tastes better.... ...
i used to swear on dark beers .. but now .. i think my fav are actually a bit more "red" ... but i would never be a pilsner man....

each for their own

Actually I've always been a "golden beer" fan - my house beers nearly all look like this: even the ales.

CreamAleMedium.jpg

I brew a Red for a change now and again and although I've done ok with my own stouts in comps I really prefer Sheaf or Coopers commercial stouts. I think it's because I cut my teeth on Pilsner Urquell etc in the old Dart and maybe hankering for those days.

Anyway a few months back I took a chance and grabbed a Coopers Stout for the bottlo.....
well that lasted 3 sips and went down the drain...Ok I still cant drink stout...
Right now I am sitting with a James Squire Amber Ale.....seems to me I am NOT a dark beer fan.....all I can taste is burnt crap..
Its a shame because I believe that its probably a very good beer within its style, nice body,head,feel..but not for me.

if it's any consolation, I DO like dark beers and a few weeks ago tried the Coopers Extra Stout (yellow label) and couldn't drink it. it was bloody awful. I love guinness and used to drink a fair few stouts back in the UK... mainly Mackeson's and Beamish. Was partial to a Tennents Sweet stout as a youngster. I have a milk stout bottled back in March that's drinking nicely so I'm thinking it's just the coopers that was nasty rather than my taste.

I've also heard rave reviews about the JS Amber but again I wasn't a fan. Don't know if its different between bottled and draught.

at the moment if I'm out I'll drink Little Creature's Bright Ale which I'm a fan of. For brewing at home I like hops. LOTS of hops.

I used to dislike dark beer apart from the occasional guinness or kilkenny on st pats day etc, then when i started hombrewing i wanted to make a lcpa inspired beers and i just went hop crazy, but never really hit the mark, then a light bulb turned on and i payed more attention to the malts, then well it was then all about the malts, and i got to apreciate malty and darker beers a bit more, now i brew for a balance, and while i still like pale ales and pilsners and get wowed by the hops, i also now get equally impressed by the malt complexity of an english brown or irish red.

Saying you don't like dark beers is akin to saying you don't like the night sky - every evening is different. I don't appreciate Stout and many Porter styles but....I generally love Dark beers, especially ales (extra especially those big bold in-your-face Belgian Trappist ales) and I must admit here that I don't appreciate them all. With the myriad of micro-breweries now existent in Australia (now over 100) there is a great deal of homework to be done and if you don't do your homework you ain't gonna' pass the test :) Every individual has a different pallet and seeks, enjoys something unique so don't give up. I am sure you will find a dark or dark-ish beer that suits you otherwise may I respectfully suggest you try brewing one that does?

I myself generally gravitate to those robust, high-alcohol beers and big bold red wines because I suspect my taste buds aren't as sensitive as many who's more sensitive taste buds can appreciate the subtle nuances of those lighter, crisper, cleaner styled beers. Maybe your taste buds are sensitive and are over-whelmed by the big beers.

I think an individual who can equally appreciate a Pinot Gris as much as a Shiraz or a Trappist Ale as much as a Pilsenser is an individual blessed.

Easing myself into 'another' Coopers Vintage Ale

take care

I am sure one day I will find a dark beer that I enjoy, my problem is I have a very limited range available to me.....
I will have to get myself to a decent bottlo when next in the smoke.
I will contnue to try as many brews as I can, and will no doubt continue to find some shit and some gold. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back