Not A Bowl Of Fruit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
After the furore that Ross' S-189 @ 19c caused, I decided to, for shits and giggles, make a lager and use S-23 at 19c. Mainly because I couldn't be arsed jumping on the bike to get S-189 and had S-23 on hand already.

Crown urn, 40l, concealed element BIAB no chill, hold the botulism.
Mashed in @ 68c for 60 mins, mashout @ 76c for 5 min.

4kg BB Pilsner Pale malt
0.5kg Carapils malt
0.5kg Flaked Rice
19g Northern Brewer @60 mins
15g Hallertau @15 mins
15g Hallertau @flameout
Safale S-23 @19c for 3 weeks, then CC'd for 2 weeks at 2.5.
Bottled in 500ml swingtops and carbed with 1.5 Coopers drops.

It's brilliant, crisp, clean, beautiful head on it. I'm not longer a "lager's the only good beer" type guy, but I would have to say this is one of the best beers I've made.

You *******.

I was gonna do a CPA clone next.

I have all the ingredients on hand to do your lager, might have to bump it up the 'to brew que'.

Im never gonna get to that CPA clone.....keep finding more interesting things to try out and ive been waitng to find a use for my solitary pack of '23!

Mate, give it a shot, it's so drinkable and completely turns the "lager must be done at 10c" gospel on its head.

After the furore that Ross' S-189 @ 19c caused....

Sorry to be a pain but can someone please elighten me or point me to the said thread(s) ? :) Afraid searching on S189 comes up with a shedload....

I managed to get some of this yeast and so keen to read up on as many experiences as possible..

ohmegod, lagers at 19 deg C.. missed that thread in feb.... :eek:

as i recall, purists would not call this a lager, rather i believe the more apt term is "steam beer" ... ie a beer using lager yeast but brewed at ale temperatures.

still, I intend to try this at 9 deg C fermentation temperature, but interesting to see that if I pitch higher to start, I shouldnt end up with any fruity or off flavours....

Back