Northern Brewer Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
just did a single hop ale with northern brewer to about 25 ibu's last weekend. mainly JW 2 row with a touch of cara for grain. never actually tried northern brewer hops so interested to see how it comes up. any beers on the market that use northern brewer or something similar it might come up like?
(the suspense is killing me!!)

just did a single hop ale with northern brewer to about 25 ibu's last weekend. mainly JW 2 row with a touch of cara for grain. never actually tried northern brewer hops so interested to see how it comes up. any beers on the market that use northern brewer or something similar it might come up like?

Anchor Steam

Anchor Steam
Im 100% with Mckenry Anchor steam or Cali common with U.S. Northern brewer,thats planned for tomorrow!!
But also great as a not so "aggressive"bittering hop :beer:

German or US? There was a thread a while ago (that I can't find at the moment) about US Northern Brewer, and how it can give out a "mint" taste. I brewed with it earlier this year and thought something went wrong with the beer as I wasn't expecting the flavour.

I haven't used German NB late in the boil, but it's one of my go-to clean bittering hops.

Cheers,
tallie

Edit: found the thread: Hop Of The Week 1/11/06 - Northern Brewer, Let's talk flavour (nfi why it doesn't show up in google search :wacko: )

German or US? There was a thread a while ago (that I can't find at the moment) about US Northern Brewer, and how it can give out a "mint" taste. I brewed with it earlier this year and thought something went wrong with the beer as I wasn't expecting the flavour.

I haven't used German NB late in the boil, but it's one of my go-to clean bittering hops.

Cheers,
tallie
Tallie let you know how the cali common turns out im using 100% U.S. Nthrn Brewer first use of Yakima Valley hops,man do they smell tops split them into 100g bags!!!!!!

I can't comment on the US NB but the German NB is an excellent hop. Very smooth bittering and great flavour if you use it later in the boil, you wont be dissapointed with that hop.
There was a forum poll or survey many years ago, I think it was on this forum, where we all could vote for our favourite hop and German NB ranked very high if I recall.
The proof will be in the tasting!

Cheers

thats a good question US or German? I never checked it from the excitement of a new hop trial. Ill have to look into it.

but from the feedback im really getting excited :chug:

boiled for 90min

hopped at 60, 10 and flame out

thats a good question US or German? I never checked it from the excitement of a new hop trial. Ill have to look into it.

but from the feedback im really getting excited :chug:

boiled for 90min

hopped at 60, 10 and flame out

how will it stand up for the 10 min and flame out?

Cheers,
tallie

Edit: found the thread: Hop Of The Week 1/11/06 - Northern Brewer, Let's talk flavour (nfi why it doesn't show up in google search :wacko: )

just checked where it was from.

Germany. hoping it comes up with the goods

how will it stand up for the 10 min and flame out?

Depends on your actial grain bill and what yeast your using.
I love German NB in Cali Common type beers with WY2112 they work well together for sure.
I just brewed one yesterday, did 1.5g/L at 10min and 2g/L at flame out fairly complex grain bill to back it up though.

Depends on your actial grain bill and what yeast your using.
I love German NB in Cali Common type beers with WY2112 they work well together for sure.
I just brewed one yesterday, did 1.5g/L at 10min and 2g/L at flame out fairly complex grain bill to back it up though.

my grain bill is far from complexed. yeast i used was us05. running it at 17 deg for 10 days then cold condition in same fermenter or a week then bottle?

my grain bill is far from complexed. yeast i used was us05. running it at 17 deg for 10 days then cold condition in same fermenter or a week then bottle?

I think it will be fine...should give you a reasonable idea what the hop does for you, live and learn or drink while living.
I find it a really soft bittering hop so don't be surprised if you don't perceive it as very bitter.

I think it will be fine...should give you a reasonable idea what the hop does for you, live and learn or drink while living.
I find it a really soft bittering hop so don't be surprised if you don't perceive it as very bitter.

thanks mate

im finding that when i have a sip as i bottle its on the sweet side with all my brews unless ive dry hopped and its higher in ibu's but after 4 weeks in the bottle the hops develop on the sweetness and balances out.

Tasted a mates Steam Ale using Northern Brewer tonight. First time i have tasted this hop.
What a rippa! I think his was the US NB variety.

I made one with US05 and it was fantastic. Will be interested to see what difference it would be with say the 2112

Back