Nori Rolls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
my 5 yr old desperately wanted nori rolls for lunch this week at school. so off to work I go.

I find that this receipe works well every time
Ingredients:
3 cups Japanese rice
3 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Preparation:
Put the rice in a large bowl and wash it with cold water. Repeat washing until the water becomes almost clear. Drain the rice in a colander and set aside for 30 minutes. Place the rice in rice cooker and add water. Let the rice soak in the water at least 30 minutes. Start the cooker. When rice is cooked, let it steam for about 15 minutes.
Prepare sushi vinegar (sushi-zu) by mixing rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Put the pan on low heat and heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool the vinegar mixture.

Spread the hot steamed rice into a large plate or a large bowl. Please use a non-metallic bowl to prevent any interaction with rice vinegar. It's best to use a wooden bowl called sushi-oke. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold the rice by shamoji (rice spatula) quickly. Be careful not to smash the rice. To cool and remove the moisture of the rice well, use a fan as you mix sushi rice. This will give sushi rice a shiny look. It's best to use sushi rice right away.
Makes 4-6 servings.

rice cookers rock as you can skip a lot of the above steps. and screw the standing for 30min before cooking. now you can also buy premade 'sushi seasoning' instead of making it. its tastes fine.

now not everyone has giant non metyalic bowls, so improvise. this is a lid from a giant dip platter tray we have. it comes together well if you use a pedestal fan blowing on it to help cool it down.
sushi1a.jpg

now cut all your ingrediants whilst you wait for rice to cook.
sushi1.jpg

assemble (im sure this isnt what they meant by fusion cooking.. ie using salami in a nori roll :lol: )
put some rice towards one end. lightly wet both ends of the nori sheets so they stick. wet hands keep the rice from sticking.
sushi2.jpg

cut off the scraggly ends and once down the middle and serve.
sushi_final.jpg

add anything you like to these. there are no rules. I used celery, leb cucumber, avocardo, tinned salamon, salami, ham, paprika, wasaba and red capcicum in differant combos. they are easy once you have a crack at one or 2. and yes a sushi mat makes it a lot easier.

+1 For the Sushezi, I have one, and while it looks like a lot of gimmicky things you see, this one actually gets used and works well. The Nori rolls look great though.

I used to make them on the mat as well and a mate got the Sushezi. I thought it was a waste of time and just another thing that will just be stored away with all the other crap like that. Low and behold, I bought one and now I use it every time I make Sushi. Worth the little outlay if you ask me.

+1 For the Sushezi, I have one, and while it looks like a lot of gimmicky things you see, this one actually gets used and works well.
hmm rolling thems not that hard. it would want to be kickarse for $24. they could have taken more caremaking the promo shot. that rice looks disgusting.

The Nori rolls look great though.
thanks. they are the crap ones (ie for me to eat). I took more care with my kids and she got the best ones. besides i just jammed heaps of fillings in and lots of wasabi. yum. nice and healthy and a fraction of the price of buying them.

... Worth the little outlay if you ask me.
hmm well if the missus is going to get stuck making them for the kids i might consider it. however given the making of rice and cooling etc, i recon im going to be the one making it. im happy having a beer whilst making them. its relaxing

+2 for the sushezi. SWMBO got one and its awsome.

Just wish it would make chiko rolls.. :)

yeah but theres something nice about using your hands. and im assuming if you use the sushezi your stuck with a perdertmined size, whereas I can make large rolls if i make them by hand.

but yeah if its piss easy then maybe the missus might be slightly more keen on making them and save me the hassel

edit: ok lets discuss best fillings.

I want a sushezi now..........Wonder where I'll find one without resorting to ebay.

That said, trust the Americans to take "sushi" and make it a recipe for diabetes...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you all have Habitat stores over yonder there but Habitat sell them for $29.95

nice lunch for a 5 year old...
Yeah well 2nd week of school, she asked nicely and lets face it, its a pretty dang healthy meal. I love that she eats sushi and nori. When we r out and they r allowed something from a food court she generally gets an assorted box of sushi/nori which she calls 'bits n pieces'

Yeah well 2nd week of school, she asked nicely and lets face it, its a pretty dang healthy meal. I love that she eats sushi and nori. When we r out and they r allowed something from a food court she generally gets an assorted box of sushi/nori which she calls 'bits n pieces'

Yep. Great lunch for the kids. My youngest (8) loves the salmon sashimi. Expensive tastes that one. Not sure I'd do the raw fish for a school lunch though. Bit of terriaki chicken though. Or plain salad.

Cheers
Dave

Verity loves chicken katsu nori rolls... Ive never made them myself.

Back