Noobme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yochris77

Reaction score
Hi,
Been lurking for a little while. Lots of great info here - Many thanks to all.

About to take the dive into AG starting with BIAB. Don't know how I am going to find time to do this but looking forward to it!

Cheers
Chris

Welcome Chris. It's a slippery slope your on!
I BIAB and being a shift worker I generally brew between school hours. Start the brew at 9am and am finished by 2pm. I've also done a late arvo/night brew as well.
Let us know how your first AG brew goes.
Cheers
Bevan

Yo, Chris. Your brewing will be fine. If you have any questions just pop them up and there will be plenty of answers. There are some good brewers in North Brisbane so advice is never too far away.

Thanks for the welcome.

Did my first brew yesterday. Everything went okay. Mashed for an extra 10 mins because I didn't have the hot water for mash out ready in time. I didn't really worry about that. Hit preboil gravity bang on. A little extra volume.

Got a lot of sediment in the FV and gravity was low but I measured the gravity while hot. Did no chill for 24 hrs and just pitched us-05 at 20deg.

Got a few things to improve. Starting with addition of ball valves and purchase of digital thermometer. Bit worried about no chill for 24hrs - hope it isn't infected

yochris77 said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Did my first brew yesterday. Everything went okay. Mashed for an extra 10 mins because I didn't have the hot water for mash out ready in time. I didn't really worry about that. Hit preboil gravity bang on. A little extra volume.

Got a lot of sediment in the FV and gravity was low but I measured the gravity while hot. Did no chill for 24 hrs and just pitched us-05 at 20deg.

Got a few things to improve. Starting with addition of ball valves and purchase of digital thermometer. Bit worried about no chill for 24hrs - hope it isn't infected
get a chiller , its worth it.

If you want to persist with no chill, get yourself a couple of 15 / 20L "cubes". HDPE, not always square shaped, usually white but for some reason blue at Bunnings. Sanitise them with starsan first, then run boiling hot wort into them, squeeze out excess air and cap.

You'll get away with doing a 24hr chill in a fermenter probably quite a number of times if you're lucky, but the real advantage to no chill brewing is being able to brew whenever you want without having to be ready to pitch any yeast.

For more infos hit that search button.. :p

Thanks for replies.

Brew#2 is in fermenter. This brew went along with a lot less stress. Managed to improve a lot of the process to make it less stressful and easier. Biggest problem this time was with (dick)Head Brewer. I was working from a recipie that I had printed out and also testing Beersmith on the tablet at the same time. I was sure both were the same, but after double checking that I had completed everything to the recipie, I added 6L of water to my completed 23L batch to bring it up to 29L. I have no idea where this came from as the recipie was supposed to a 23L batch! Not happy Jan! Putting it down to being tired.

Guessing this will make it thinner? What other effects will it have? Gunna spend my time drinking this thinking "what if".

Latest posts

Back