Noobie Here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavey

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this site and new to home brewing. I received a DIY coopers kit for Christmas (like many others out there) and just have a couple of newbie questions.
I have done heaps of reading on here, so most of my questions have been answered, thanks!
The kit I received came with the standard lager LME ( is that the right Acronym? <_< ), I also got the Canadian blonde one. Should I go with the lager kit as a first go? Does it matter? I assume I would just swap the malt and yeast that came with the blonde and follow the instructions that came with the kit?
The kit also states that you don't need to sterilize everything the first time you use the kit, just rinse in hot water, should I buy a sterilizing solution and use to be in the safe side?
Lastly, I have read a lot about the fermentation temperature. Most on here seem to say that it should be 18-20 degrees, the kit says 21-27 and some others have said that they found the kit yeast didn't work well at the lower temps and recommended 22-24 degrees? I have a fridge that I can use, so I can set up a thermostats and keep it (hopefully) to whatever temp I want, any thoughts on what would work the best?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to try and get this hobby off to a good start, so I don't stuff it up and get frustrated! :blink: :angry:
Thanks again everyone, for any help you can give this Noobie.
Cheers
Cavey

18-21 is a better temp.the canadian blonde is a good kit to start with all you need is BE1 from cooper's,you should get a reasonable beer.you are asking for trouble if your cleaning and santizing is not up to scratch.you dont what's been in bottles or fermenter even if it's new.location of where you are in this country might help

Low cost temp controller as recomended by others on this site, search ahb for stc-1000, and if you know a sparky who can help you out they are excellent and not all that pricey.
Cheers
Lyle

Sometimes it can be confusing when you read all the different opinions on here about what to do and what not to do.

LME = Liquid Malt Extract.

It doesn't matter which one you go with first.

I would use the malt, maybe a small quantity of dextrose if you want.

Use the yeast that came with the kit, you can upgrade the yeast for future brews, but for your first one, go with the kit yeast.

Sanitising your equipment is a good idea, even if it is brand new.

If you can keep your brewing temp in a range of 18 - 22 :chug: , if you have a fridge to maintain a constant temp :drinks: . If you brew at 27 :icon_vomit:

The first time I used the new Coopers fermenter, I just rinsed it in hot water with no problems, same with the PET bottles. If you've got some no rinse sanitiser like starsan I highly recommend using it though, so easy to use that it's just not worth the risk.

Throw the instructions away, and go with the advice from the learned brewers here. :)

Cavey

Where are you located? There may be someone on here that lives near you that would be happy to give you a demonstration. We were all new brewers once. I recall my first brew... in the back yard, watching a dodgy YouTube video, a mate on the phone barking directions at me. It could have been so much easier.

Cheers
Daniel

The first best purchase you can make is a bottle of Starsan. You can get it from the forum's sponsors. Its a piss easy no rinse sanitizer that doesn't cost that much and lasts almost forever.

Best of luck with your first brew. Keep your expectations in check for the first one. It's only your first of many.

I would sterilise the fermenter if its the first brew. My reasoning isn't necessarily because it might be carrying infection, but it may also carry that "new plastic" smell. I bought a fermenter from Brewcraft and it stank to high heaven until I had sanitised it. Christ knows what my beer would have tasted like if I had not sanitised!

Hi guys,
I live at Camp Hill; thanks for all the thoughts and advice, it is appreciated! I will keep you posted!
Cheers
Cavey

Good luck. Hope it goes well. Ross from CraftBrewer, close to you in Bris, is always helpful.
Cheers

Nice score on the coopers kit. It's the gift that keeps on giving! :icon_chickcheers:

With the LME,DME,BE1's etc., here's a list of all the acronyms you'll see on this site.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=17

Definitely go with the lager kit first. If you want, you could make this one to the coopers instructions, and then the canadian blonde to the recommendations you'll see on this site, as a comparison.

And yeah, sanitising the kit before use is definitely a good idea.

Thanks again guys.....lovin the list of acronyms, now I can understand what is going on around here! :icon_cheers:

Popped the kit into the fermenter tonight. Cooled some water down to about 16 degrees today; so once I mixed the kit and topped up with the cool water, got temp of about 20-21 degrees. I added an American ale yeast(soaked first) I got from craft brewer! Temp should pull back a little and hopefully sit in a range of 18-20 degrees (if my thermostat works properly!)

OG is 1038.

Thanks for all the help from you guys on here.....really helpful in doing my first kit.

Cheers

Cavey

Hi guys,

Had a quick look in the fridge this morning and brew is flat looking with a tiny bit a yeast looking stuff on the surface. How long does it normally take for the yeast to get going and froth up etc. It only been in for 12 hours.

Thanks

Was it a Red Packet of Safale US-05??

sometimes they can take upto 24h to boot into gear, it will be fermenting away relax and resist the urge to play.... i wish i had of done that :)
i ususlly do my first SG test after day 4 to see whats going on then if its like 1018 or 1016 i'll give it 48h then test again once its around 1012-1010 give it 24h more test again and presto.....
once you get a few down the novelty wears off to make fast beer then you can focus on making nice beer, i made my first few kits as quick as i could.... and they taste like it too, but very drinkable,

once you get a few under the belt it will all become clearer :)

It was a silver packet, just had american ale on it, packed by craft brewer.

Yeah not panicking yet :) just trying to understand how it all works. Thanks for the advice!

I think CB american ale yeast is US05 or very similar. Can take upto 48hrs before you see much froth on the top.

Threes days in, down to 1022, coming along slowly.

Is there any reason why I can't leave the krausen collar in? There hasn't been a lot of foam to date and I would prefer not to disturb??

Thoughts?

G'day cavey,
Don't play with it anymore than absolutely necessary while fermenting I'd say.

Back