Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Hardman

Reaction score
Okay just took 2nd gravity reading from my mangrove jacks kit dutch with brew enhancer 2, 2 days straight 1.012 with kit yeast, Planning on racking 2 second fermenter and dropping with hallertau hops just the 12 gram bags. Probably add finings Sunday and Bottle early next Saturday? Don't have facilities to get down to 1-2 degrees for lagering and also only used kit list.

From sampling hydrometer readings tastes pretty decent I have to say still obviously cloudy ofcourse but has the right taste and has sat at 18-20 degrees comfortably.

Am I missing anything obvious remembering this is my first batch and mainly want to get technique right.

ad your finings to the 2ndary and then dry hop a couple of days later alternatively dry hop wait a few days then fine and rack afterwards.

Cheers barls will go option a as want to get some supplies happening.

how long after adding hops would you recommend bottling?

2-5 days note this is hop dependent, as some become grassy after 3 day or heavy use. For what you propose 2-3days dry hop would be fine.

Hey guys really dumb question, had my finings in since Friday night so was going to through in the hops tonight, do I just open the bag and through it directly in? IE no stirring or anything, obviously don't want to touch brew anymore than necessary. I don't have to steep in water or anything do I?

You can use a hop sock if you choose (I used pool socks from BigW) but not necessary, you can throw them in naked. If using a hop sock I usually soak it in star san (sanitiser) prior to loading with hops.

Actually brought a huge fisher bucket where all my stuff goes after sanatising which I do straight after using a brewers detergent, rinse, then sanitise than rinse. Using Mangroves jacks finishing hops only 12g's so will be throwing in 12 grams tonight, and probably bottle on Thursday, that will 5 days in secondary.

Then waiting patiently and probably have a trial one after 2 weeks.

Been watching a bit of you tube, they reckon have the bottles after they've aged for atleast 4 weeks in the fridge for a week for further clearing?

Just bottled the Mangrove Jacks lager had a great flavour and had cleared a fair bit, Original volume was 22 litres and got about 26 750 ml bottles after an accident with the tap(don't ask and mess cleaned before girl saw) Now just impatiently waiting a couple of weeks to try one than another month after that for it to be matured a bit better.

Been watching a bit of you tube, they reckon have the bottles after they've aged for atleast 4 weeks in the fridge for a week for further clearing?

Clear beer is overrated IMHO. I say drink them when you like the taste and enjoy

Safale US-05. Pitched it after a non eventful start 200mls of water teaspoonful of extract at about 30 degree. 60 mins and not really any activity except for the odd bubble.

Should I be concerned as no bubbles or airlock activity. Was a Thomas Coopers Amber Ale, 1.5kgs Amber Malt, and 200g of steeped Amber Malt and 1.042 OG.

Yeast Was pitched at about 9pm last night and deadset wort looks like it hasn't moved.

Safale US-05. Pitched it after a non eventful start 200mls of water teaspoonful of extract at about 30 degree. 60 mins and not really any activity except for the odd bubble.

Should I be concerned as no bubbles or airlock activity. Was a Thomas Coopers Amber Ale, 1.5kgs Amber Malt, and 200g of steeped Amber Malt and 1.042 OG.

Yeast Was pitched at about 9pm last night and deadset wort looks like it hasn't moved.
Relax. Worry after three days and a hydrometer reading shows no change

Thanks man foam forming now and air lock not bubbling but showing signs.

Alright, I have decided will avoid finings after advise here and from my local Kirrawee brewshop (lol have 10 satchets gathering dust now).

Next question, how do I culture / save yeast, whats the easiest method at the moment paying $5 each for the saf series and want to use liquid but not splurging $13 a pop per prew.

Alright, I have decided will avoid finings after advise here and from my local Kirrawee brewshop (lol have 10 satchets gathering dust now).

Next question, how do I culture / save yeast, whats the easiest method at the moment paying $5 each for the saf series and want to use liquid but not splurging $13 a pop per prew.
There's alot of info on this site or do some research, I use irradiated tubes , culture medium (agar tube ) simple nutrient growth broth (mixture of wort & nutrients).

i dont bother with finnings or anything, when kegging after secondary i basically cold crash the keg which drops all the particals to the bottom. the first few beers may be a little cloudy then they clear up a treat.

i dont bother with finnings or anything, when kegging after secondary i basically cold crash the keg which drops all the particals to the bottom. the first few beers may be a little cloudy then they clear up a treat.
How clear? Post a photo.
I don't get all this reluctance to use finings, it's hardly difficult and the difference they make is huge.

Latest posts

Back