Noob question making a starter for wlp051

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey6

Reaction score
Hi guys my yeast is past it’s best by was going to pitch 2 to 40l fresh wort kits of red ipa. Bloke in shop said just drop it in but thinking there out of date might need a starter. Any help be awesome

Thanks

I'd be inclined to make a good sized starter. What is the gravity of the wort kit? That'll be your guide.

Punch your numbers into the mr malty pitch rate calculator, and it will give you an idea of what sizes you'll need. If they're a while past their used by dates then you may need to step up your starter.

Remember, you can only pitch your yeast once, better to do it right first time at an appropriate rate for what you're brewing.

JD

I'd be inclined to make a good sized starter. What is the gravity of the wort kit? That'll be your guide.

Punch your numbers into the mr malty pitch rate calculator, and it will give you an idea of what sizes you'll need. If they're a while past their used by dates then you may need to step up your starter.

Remember, you can only pitch your yeast once, better to do it right first time at an appropriate rate for what you're brewing.

JD

Og is 1055.

Back