Noob question - first brew / apologies in advance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuz

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,
Hoping on some input on this if possible...
Into the 9th day of primary ferment of my trial brew. Started off with 0.032 measured and for the last two days has been sitting on 0.017 (projected FG meant to be 0.008?). The wort is 23L, 1.7kg Amber LME + 0.5kg Dry LME, using 15g of S-189 (hydrated).
Still letting off a bit of CO2 - would it be safe to bottle in a couple of days time? Or should I pitch more yeast to bring down to 0.008 FG (and I guess adding more yeast would help bottle conditioning / carbing?)
Thanks!

Are you controlling the fermentation temp? If so what temp?

Are you controlling the fermentation temp? If so what temp?
I've done what I could without resorting to power sources - off the ground in the garage corner and snug in my old skiing jacket.
The wort temp it has stayed about 13 +/- 3... I'm guessing a couple of cold Melb nights may've been slightly lower. So yes, I guess there were fluctuations but not extreme and within yeast's ferment range.

Bring it into the house to ramp up fermentation temps, lightly shake the fermenter to rouse the yeast while you're at it. Doing so can double as a diacetyl rest (you don't want it to exceed ~18C, I'm assuming you can find somewhere to achieve that temp)

Give the fermenter a gentle swirl rather than shaking - otherwise as above.

I would not expect 1.008 with the dme in there but I also would not bottle until you know (not hope) that it's hit final gravity.

Shouldn't need to pitch new yeast now although next time you do a lager, consider doubling that yeast pitch in the first place.

A lot of ale yeasts conk out below 15 degrees, sounds like it's just chugging along there in Melbourne. Give it a few more days and if you can't take it into the house, just wrap it up with a doonah and slip in a 2L bottle of very hot water next to it morning and night. Should give you a couple of degrees.

Ok thanks, I'm guessing the yeast is just reacting to the temp changes... It's still going though - keeps producing quite a bit of CO2 but I just got puzzled that the SG hasn't changed lately and is still relatively high.
I picked the S189 knowing the temps will be low. The initial ferment was spectacular for a couple of days and then slowed down.
I'm not in a hurry to bottle it just trying to get the feel for the whole process :)

Back