Noob Mead Makers Wanted - Apply Within

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P4170008.jpg

Done! :super: Just finished bottling. A bit of a chill haze - it was clear as day when I kegged it a few days ago. If you're wondering why I kegged, I force carbonated it.

Exactly like mead. ;)

I hate dry anything - wine, beer, mead - so it's medium-sweet. OG 1.090, FG 1.002. I can smell honey (I'm no good at varieties, it all smells like honey to me) and some low alcohol. Taste follows the aroma. A nice mixture of honey, alcohol, floral notes and some sweetness.

.....Where the hell is the belch icon? :D

1090's a pretty low SG so you have a lower alc mead, can be drunk young :)

I bet it tastes just like Ambrosia ;)

I bet it tastes just like Ambrosia ;)

Who's she? :p

You're right that the OG was a little low. I was hoping for something a bit higher but oh well. I managed to get 2 x ice cream pails of honey for $20 each. Each carboy got a pail and I ended up with 1.090. Next year I think I'll get 3 pails and put 1.5 in each batch. :party:

here's a thought

plum melomel but use wyeast 9097. i recon an aged plum mead with that old casky horsy characteristics would be a strange but delightful taste. esp if you made the mead slightly sweeter to begin with so the sourness of the old ale yeast (w9097) had something to push against.

anyone looking for inspiration on types of mead, cysers, methglyns, melomels etc check out these retailers
Celestial Meads - Alaskia? retailer. MASSIVE list of all sorts of the above. great inspiration.
Red Stone Meadery - large variety of meads etc with recipe ratios
Chatea Dorrian - A South Aust winery doing meads. Ive tried them and are really nice.

No affil etc etc, just putting the inspiration out there

hey guys, my mead is stuck~!
Quite a basic recipe, OG ~ 1095, wyeast sweet mead (1 packet, 20L batch) yeast, 2 tsp of yeast nutrient.

Stuck around 1035-1040 for a few weeks now - I have stirred it up as much as I was game, and added another tsp of yeast nutrient, but the yeast still isn't getting on with it... 1040 is a little sweet for my taste!!! lol!
It is possible I asked for this as the smack pack was a little out of date and slow to swell... and I possibly didn't read as much on mead fermentation as I could have :rolleyes:

What would you guys suggest - I was thinking of adding a pack of US-05?

cheers :)

I've posted before how finicky and prone to getting stuck the sweet mead yeast can be at times, which is why I don't use it personally.

US-05 will get you about 12% ABV if it finds your must a good environment to work in. That would put your finished gravity down to near 1.004 if it chews through everything without giving up early, so if you can handle that you can go ahead and pitch it in.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Back