'non' rookie error?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoo

Reaction score
Hi all, have been a lurker but didn't expect my first post to be this one...
Been simple brewing for ages [tin/finishing hops/extra malt/etc] with no problems but did something late this arvo I have never done before and now concerned after a quick google search...
Put down a double Galaxy Coopers Pale Ale and using US-05 yeast but just wanted to get the temp down a bit and had used up all the cold water I had so put in 3 l of carbonated water from the fridge . After reading something about the ions and ph I started to get a bit edgy - should I be worried? - the 3l is in a total of about 20 l..

Probably not best practice, but I doubt its going to be fatal.
The CO2 will scrub out fairly fast, the formation of Carbonic Acid from dissolved CO2 is a two way reaction, as the amount of CO2 falls so does the amount of carbonic acid, you will also be forming lots of new CO2 during the ferment - so I suspect the small amount you added wont matter.
On the matter of the mineral salts in most commercial Soda Water, the biggest effect of minerals in brewing is during mashing and wort boiling, something that doesn't apply to you, if you are a kit brewer.
Pretty much leaves the taste that the minerals might make. There will be some but its going to be pretty small.
Someone once brought me a couple of beers from a craft brewery in the US that brew with their local "Mineral Water", well enough made beer but there was a distinct minerally aftertaste (not really a good thing) but their mineral content was hundreds of times what you are talking about getting from some Sods Water.

At small doses many salts are flavour enhancers (see common/table salt NaCl) you might even find the flavour suits you better, I've seen plenty of old sailors put a pinch of salt in Stout (and coffee, most everything in fact).
Relax and see where it goes - let us know how it turns out.
Mark

That's a relief. Thanks so much for the reply and info, much appreciated!

Back