Non-alcoholic Ginger Beer - Tons Of Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefan

Reaction score
HI All,

First time poster here. hOpe I have the right area. Done a few brews so far and all have been great. Just tried a non-alcoholic ginger beer but when it's come time to drink it's got a TON of sediment in each bottle, floating around etc. The brewed Ginger beer we've tried had hardly any sediment and what there was is all settled out.

Any thoughts? Or is this just a fact of non-alcholic ginger beer (eg doesn't settle out during the time in the brewer)? Basically we did the instructions for non-alcoholic ginger beer on the Coopers can.

Thanks for any help.
Stefan

Hi there,
I had the same effect with my non alch ginger beer, all this shitty stuff would float up to the to when you released the pressure from the bottle,
dont know what it is though.. I just thought next time I would rack it before bottling.

So you bottled straight out of primary after a day or 2, before the yeast/bits of ginger has a chance to settle? I bet there was bugger all sediment in the bottom of the fermenter, so guess where it all ended up?

Maybe next time try a GMK inline filter, just do a search for one, would be perfect in situations like this.

I'm not sure what the gmk filter is, but I use a sprinkler system filter for all racking and bottling. I just got it from Kmart in the gardening section. For less than $20 it is a pretty handy tool.

It won't filter out yeast from a cloudy beer, but it will take out any hops, grist anf floaties in the wort before bottling/racking.

To reduce sedimate, I'd rack the beer into a secondary, but keep it at a low lager temperature for a few days. It should drop alot of the crap out of the wort before bottling. Use the filter for all transfers.

THanks all, I'll get one of these filters. Sounds like a perfect thing, not a lot I can do on this batch (besides straining it before drinking) but next batch should be good.

Latest posts

Back