No Wonder A Man Drinks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Have you ever had one of those brews that was nothing but trouble?

I recently put in a Choc-Honey Porter and it has been the most frustrating brew ever.

Firstly, the yeast just didn't want to start. It was about 4 days before the action started. I had to open the fermenter and give it a stir up, risking infection. No big one, but it gets worse.

Secondly, while transfering the brew to secondary, I spilled half of the honey mix on the floor and down the side of the fermenter while trying to put it in the brew. Nothing like a nice, sticky fermenter!

Thirdly, once secondary fermentation had completed, I transfered the brew to a new fermenter to rack the beer. At this stage I had 18 litres of brew. Left it for a couple of days and all seemed to be going well. Checked it today:
"Hmmm... 16 litres? I seem to remember it being 18 litres. Why is the carpet wet?"
I didn't screw on the tap properly and 2 litres had slowly spilled out onto the carpet.

People have probably had worse but this just cheeses me as it is the most expensive brew I've put down. It cost me about $40.00 for all of the ingredients.

I can't wait to see what awaits me when I bottle the brew! :eek:

:beer:

Sorry to hear about your brew, but for some reason the ones that are the most trouble always end up tasting the best.

One handy hint: instead of opening the fermenter to stir, gently rock it back and forth, so you get a nice swirling motion happening with the liquid. This works just as well to raise the yeast off the bottom, with none of the risks of infection, or oxidisation from excessive spoon splashing.

Those pesky plastic taps.

I lost 10 litres from a tap that had been trodden on, it jumped a thread, and leaked 10 litres onto the carpet and under a cupboard that was dynabolted to the foor and wall. Big mess, big clean up job. Now, any plastic fermenter that has a tap, that is on the floor, is stood in a larger plastic container, just in case.

Fermenter taps are a real PITA. <_<

Also the main reason why I changed to glass carboys.

No taps to cause grief and siphoning is easy enough to get used to. Treated with care they'll last you for years. :beerbang:

Answer to the title of your thread, "No wonder a Man drinks".

I always thought it was to make some women more attractive via beer goggles. :lol: :lol:

Warren -

A couple of my barrel taps have started dripping due to being cracked open for cleaning one too many times. I'm swapping to snap taps for all but my bottling fermenter.

Never trod on a tap or snapped one off, touch wood.

Every year I replace my taps. They're only a couple of dollars each and if it saves you a heap of beer then it's well worth it.

The joys of making beer!

Sorry to hear about the troubles you had with your choc honey porter Ryantor.

My brew buddy and mine bottled ours without a hitch and have already bought a wetpak (extract) porter mix to put down with another 750gm of honey. Intend to brew this one and leave it in the bottles till next winter when it should be a sweet winter brew.

I answer to your question about why men drink.....its easy....it's to help ugly women get sex.

Hope your next brew doesn't go that way.

Wassa

Wassa said:
Sorry to hear about the troubles you had with your choc honey porter Ryantor.

My brew buddy and mine bottled ours without a hitch and have already bought a wetpak (extract) porter mix to put down with another 750gm of honey. Intend to brew this one and leave it in the bottles till next winter when it should be a sweet winter brew.

I answer to your question about why men drink.....its easy....it's to help ugly women get sex.

Hope your next brew doesn't go that way.

Wassa
[post="76196"][/post]​

Thanks Wassa.

Glad to hear your brew went well. I'm gonna try another Choc-Honey Porter sometime in the future. Probably early next year. If this Choc-Honey Porter tastes alright, I'll post the recipe.

:beer:

Back