NO Stickies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
So was trolling the forum, and the thought hit me that some time soon I really should start propagating and storing the yeast I use. Now Like most newbies I use a lot of US 05 and equivilents, but I also use the odd lager yeast etc. So I thought I'd start doing a bit of reading to refresh the memory on starters, splitting, and washing yeast. So I opened the yeast thread thinking that atleast some of this would be a sticky topic but apparently I was wrong. I do note a few threads listed enquiring about the same info, perhaps one of the mods could organise a few of the more informative threads on the subject to be stuck!
thanks in advance
Mike

The "pinned" stickies in the individual sub forum categories seem to be just "migrated" from the previous AHB sub forums on the old layout. Formerly there was no Yeast sub forum ( and everyone wanted one, good move Dane) - no Styles sub forum etc. so there are not as yet any pinned threads in them, or at least nothing suitable that could be migrated from the old forum. I expect in good time Dane will review the stickies and maybe do some polls on what we would like to see "stuck". And members wishing to share knowledge and experience might like to contribute some.

For example I note that my BIAB in Urn is now in the extracts and partials section as it formerly was in the "beginning all grain" sub forum, despite the fact that BIAB is AG. No offence, I expect this will be rectified: I intend to rewrite it anyway with new text and photos to freshen it up.

Basically I like stickies rather than articles as you can easily access them from the current sub forum, (edit: rather than jump out of the sub forum and have to do a search in an entirely different area of the forum) just as long as you don't get 15 stickies on a page and only a few posts displayed which I have seen on some forums. Pain.

I like it when there is one post stuck where people can post a link to a 'thread of note'. That way the forum is not filled up with stickies in the way that there is no room for new threads one page one, but as many threads as you like can be effectively 'stuck' to the front page by anyone, not just mods.

Look my point of view is this, while yes I've been an AHB user for a while now I like using the stickies, they more often than not get down to the nuts and bolts of a particular subject. That being said I hadn't realised the yeast topic was a new one. I am well versed on using the search function, those new to the site may well not know what it is they want to search. Since posting the OP I have done searches on the topics I was looking for and what I found was some very good information by various members all more knowledgable in this area than myself. Atleast three of these were tutorial in nature and as punkin has pointed out, could well be linked in one sticky. I think the job Dane has done with the site has been fantastic, it's still early days, and I know these little things take time. My point was that just in the first page of threads there were 3 or 4 threads that would have been unnecessary if topics on the subjects mentioned in the OP were stuck.
MB

Back