No Sign Of Krausen During Ferment Stage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone ever had a brew where there was minimal or no krausen during the ferment period??
My last batch which is still in secondary did not show any signs of this. The gravity of the brew has been constantly coming down during these stages and it looks like its nearly ready to bottle (OG 1034 - currently 1008) but there has been no krausen.
I used Coopers sparkling ale yeast that I propagated for this brew.

All feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Johnno,

For a while I thought krausen was just a myth!

I hardly ever get much more than 2cm. Use to worry me, but the beer has always turned out just fine!

If your gravity is dropping, then I reckon it's all ok!

Johnno
I am sure it's fine mate , yeast from Coopers bottles ferments , well more gentle , if you know what I mean.
Don't compare it with the package yeast that goes off.
You'll like the flavour difference you get , a bit more fruity.
Good luck with it.
And let us know how it turns out , I have a Grumpys , Coopers Pale clone in CC at the moment , was a little darker than I expected , but proof is in the tasting
Cheers Batz :blink:

Hmmmmm

have tried many yeasts, dry and liquid

usually have 6-7' of krausen in the fermenter the next morning after brewing

one trick to good yeast performance; aeration

aerate the wort well: run from one fermenter into a second situated some distance below the first (first on top of milkcrate on top of a bench, second on floor below it)

for beers over 1060 you might like to make an aeration tube: take a spare bottling tube, 5cm below the top (the end that goes into the tap of the first fermenter) drill small holes at 90degrees around the circumference of the tube, repeat 1 cm & 2 cm belwo that. When you adjust the flow rate just right, you will hear air being sucked into the wort flowing past the holes

That will jazz up the performance of the yeast

Jovial Monk

Can anyone explain why this happens?
I have a partial going at the mo and this is the first time its happened.
A search found it has happened to some starters on AHB and google has got a few results with some brews,but there isnt a common factor I could find with any of them.My brew is fermenting just no krausen. FWIW its wyeast2124
Please explain

Back