No Rinse Santisers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Would 'Miltons' be okay as a no rinse sanitser in kegs?

A mate of mine is starting to keg - he has kids so Miltons is available at his house...

anyone used/uses it? I figure if it's safe for baby bottles, why wouldn't it be safe for beer?

I looked into it briefly. From memory things need to soak in it for some time in order to be considered sterile, and in terms of value for money on the amount required to sterilise stuff for brewing it's just not worth it.
He'd be better off buying a bottle of starsan, then looking into if he can use that to sterilise the baby bottles.

yeah smells toxic,

bothers me childcare use it on my baby's bottles (we use steam at home)

i agree with the Starsan... i'll spend some more of his money in the setup stuff...

From memory it is Sodium Hypo PFS? I haven't used it but have smelt the stuff so I think it would need to be rinsed.

Haven't checked it for a few years but it used to be Sodium Hypochlorite, aka Bleach. So YES you have to wash it off using HOT water.

I agree with the "forget it and use Starsan". Starsan is a very cheap sanitiser when you work out how long it lasts and being a true no rinse makes life a lot easier.

QldKev

the milton instructions iirc, say you can air dry and not rinse, or rinse with boiled water. we rinse with kettle water, hot or cold for our bub and obviously shake off any hot water before shoving a dummy in our kids mouth. dilute bleach and vinegar soln has been cited as a no rinse sanitiser in brewing so its not unreasonable to use milton as no rinse as per its instructions.

i think i have used it before for brewing related purposes with no memorable good or bad memories.

but yep, a twenty dollar investment for some starsan is worthwhile. much more convenient and prob the best practice approach to no rinse sanitising.

Haven't checked it for a few years but it used to be Sodium Hypochlorite, aka Bleach. So YES you have to wash it off using HOT water.

I agree with the "forget it and use Starsan". Starsan is a very cheap sanitiser when you work out how long it lasts and being a true no rinse makes life a lot easier.

QldKev

This.

I bought the 450ml bottle when I started brewing at the end of 2010. I still have about 1/3 to go.

Back