No-rinse Sanitiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
OK so just to be safe I will be putting beer on my Corn-Flakes. I thought they used a no-rinse steriliser like Iodophor!
James

PhysiCAL no-fat milk recalled
Monday Dec 24 22:07 AEDT
A Queensland-produced no-fat milk product has been recalled amid fears that traces of sanitiser found in some containers could cause nausea and vomiting.

The recall affects PhysiCAL No Fat Milk, sold in two-litre plastic bottles with a use-by date of January 5, 2008, according to producer Parmalat Australia Limited.

Some 1,041 bottles were shipped from the company's Rockhampton factory and are believed to have been distributed between Bundaberg and Cairns.

"The company has found that a small number of two-litre plastic bottles produced in its Rockhampton factory at the end of a production run contain some sanitiser solution, which could cause irritation, nausea or vomiting if consumed," the company said in a recall statement.

Customers are warned not to drink milk from the affected batch and to consult a doctor if concerned about their health.

Customers should return affected products to the place of purchase for a full refund.

For further information, call 1800 676 961.

I think there's a difference between no rinse and no drain.

Scott

...and dairy use of sanitiser is at a higher concentration than what we tend to use as brewers.

I thought dairies typically use chlorine-based sanitisers these days. Regardless, any no-rinse sanitisers will be unacceptable if they're used in too high a concentration. The only no-rinse sanitiser that can be used at any level you like is hot water.

I thought dairies typically use chlorine-based sanitisers these days.
Dairies tend to swap alkaline and acid washes morning and night (one of them works better with the hotter water of the morning)

I thought dairies typically use chlorine-based sanitisers these days. Regardless, any no-rinse sanitisers will be unacceptable if they're used in too high a concentration. The only no-rinse sanitiser that can be used at any level you like is hot water.

hydrogen peroxide leaves just water....& hence my non rinse sanitiser of choice.

Cheers Ross

I use Brewcraft Brewshield - the silver ion sanitiser. Hasn't killed me yet (except for the price) and does a top job on the brewing equipment.

I use Brewcraft Brewshield - the silver ion sanitiser. Hasn't killed me yet (except for the price) and does a top job on the brewing equipment.

Ditto. Never had an infected brew or batch, fortunately.

I wish the article would state which sanitiser is involved. How can medical practitioners know how to respond?

I'm sticking to iodophor in the brewery, since the dairies have stopped using it. We don't use iodised salt. Afaik, the rock sea salt we use would barely contain any iodine. The Mrs is a vegetarian, so I make sure she gets enough iodine to avoid goitre via house ales. Myself and the kids eat enough orange sea creatures. Crab and corn soup is in the household menu rotation, prawns when we eat out, etc.

(Or am I pissing in the wind? Does enough iodine even come thru to the finished beer from iodophor and is it accessible to the digestive tract?)

Whatever is left over is definitely a help. Would the dairies risk there stainless to corrosion by chlorine based sanitisers??

Most breweries I know use caustic for soil and oxonia (acid) for their no rinse, just leaves a bit of 02 behind....

Iodophor is a great acid based sanitiser and much preferred at home for me over any chlorine or sodium based products...

Im sure if we had a poll <_< we would come up with a wide and varied amount of different sanitisers used.
If any particular one was bad it would be known around the brew community fairly rapidly so im with PoMo and would keep on using what ever works for you.
Im still using one-shot (phos acid) as ive a fair bit left and have come across no side affects that i know of. ;)

Cheers
Big D

Doesn't hurt to swap them occasionally, biofilm build defense mechanism's to cope with their environments via the polysachridae skin they develop. A change in product can get thru the defense system and past the coping mechanism. Particularly on heat exchangers this is the case...

Phos. acid for me,I buy it in bulk from a dairy supplier

Batz

You can by 6% in 500mL bottles at some pharmacies, a lot cheaper but no silver ions. Not sure what they do - suspect it helps mixed batches store better?

What's the brand name king? Might be worth looking into!

Its just Hydrogen Peroxide sold by Soul Patterson. No brand name. If H2O2 was a manufactured product we would be queing up to by it. The household uses are almost endless. A sray-on in the shower for mold, keep tooth brushes sanitary clean, no harmful chemicals etc etc. Its even used in some states for steralising ambulances.

Its a bit like boron and the pest industry. All the utilities know it keep power poles termite free, and does not deteriorate over time but alas no patients etc and therefore on commercial interest. If you are interested google up Mabons.

You can by 6% in 500mL bottles at some pharmacies, a lot cheaper but no silver ions. Not sure what they do - suspect it helps mixed batches store better?
i'm pretty sure (wouldnt put my house on it, but maybe a bottle of beer) that the silver is used to catalyse the degeneration of the peroxide into water and oxygen. so if you use straight peroxide (like is available from a pharmacy), you just need to shake it a bit and leave it in a lit place for a while and it will work. it just needs a little bit more contct time than the stuff that you get from the HBS.

you should work out the strength of the stuff that the HBS sells and work out how much of the pharmacy stuff is equivalent and at what dilution. im not sure how the prices would compare. a 500mL bottle of 20 volume (6%) hydrogen peroxide is available at the pharmacy where i work for 9.95, but those corporate sellouts like good price pharmacy warehouse may have it even cheaper (can you tell where my loyalties lie?).

cheers

Lobby

I think the silver is there for its own antiseptic properties, it was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptions for that purpose.

I think the silver is there for its own antiseptic properties, it was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptions for that purpose.
good call, good call. i guess i owe you a bottle of beer. ill put it in the mail.

From memory, 1litre of Herlisil FP cost $20 all inclusive in the bulk buy.

I've nearly used one litre (I bought two) for approx. 400litres of beer, 10 of mead and a donation to a mate who has a problem with his grey water system.

Back