No-rinse Sanitiser I Bought

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spicks

Reaction score
I bought this sanitizer, which is says "No need to rinse. Completely odourless". It is the Brewcraft Brewshield Sanitiser.

It contains Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, Silver Ions and distilled water.

So why does it give me first aid advice if I swallow it? Am I meant to just spray it on using an atomiser gun, let it dry and just go ahead with brewing? Or should I rinse the fermenter items?

Thanks.

"Am I meant to just spray it on using an atomiser gun, let it dry and just go ahead with brewing?"

bingo! brewshield is good stuff

barfridge said:
"Am I meant to just spray it on using an atomiser gun, let it dry and just go ahead with brewing?"

[post="48308"][/post]​

I just started to use Morgan's. I presume it is the same stuff by a different label. My readings indicated that Sodium Metabisulphate is not realy recommended as it inhibits growth of bacteria and does not kill them. As it is not cheap, I use a spray atomiser. According to instructions on the bottle, but I do not trust it and still rinse with tap water.

Prior to using that stuff, I wash everything in houshold bleach solution anyway and that is also a good sanitizer I am led to believe. Again rinse after it as well.
:chug:

Do any of you guys use bleach i always use it in a diluted form then rinse with boiling water. There are so many web sites that recomend it

Bleach is a good, cheap reliable sanitizer IMO.

OTOH After 8+ years of having to thoroughly rinse fermenters on a busy brew day. It gets to be a bit of a PITA. Particularly glass carboys which are dangerous to handle whilst full of water or anything else for that matter.

I switched to iodine based sanitizers and never looked back. They're virtually no rinse. May cost more but are worth it in terms of time and water saved.

I just add 5ml of iodophor to 5 litres of water and shake the bejeezus out of the fermenter over the period of a couple of hours when I can remember. Let it drain into a bucket to sanitize my other implements and just let the carboy drain.

Easy as.

Warren -

i'll have to get into that iodophor stuff. rinsing out bleach from a carboy is not only a PITA but a pain in the back too, i did my back in last year after bending over a bathtub trying to slosh water around to rinse a carboy. also being the token greenie that i am i'd like to save water. and not tip a bottle of bleach a month down the drain.

Peter Shane said:
barfridge said:

[post="48308"][/post]​

I just started to use Morgan's. I presume it is the same stuff by a different label. My readings indicated that Sodium Metabisulphate is not realy recommended as it inhibits growth of bacteria and does not kill them. As it is not cheap, I use a spray atomiser. According to instructions on the bottle, but I do not trust it and still rinse with tap water.

Prior to using that stuff, I wash everything in houshold bleach solution anyway and that is also a good sanitizer I am led to believe. Again rinse after it as well.
:chug:
[post="48317"][/post]​

I use Morgan's for all my little odds & ends & am interested in finding out how long the solution in the sprayer is good for before it deteriates to the point where it is not effective? :) Also, I am too impatient to wait for the stuff to dry. Is this neccessarily a bad thing. :blink:

Tidalpete said:
I use Morgan's for all my little odds & ends & am interested in finding out how long the solution in the sprayer is good for before it deteriates to the point where it is not effective? :) Also, I am too impatient to wait for the stuff to dry. Is this neccessarily a bad thing. :blink:
[post="67430"][/post]​

The solution will easily stay good for the length of time the bottle will last you & can be reused many times if kept in a bottle or jar - Also no need to dry, but takes up to 7 minutes to fully sterilise...

Ross said:
The solution will easily stay good for the length of time the bottle will last you & can be reused many times if kept in a bottle or jar - Also no need to dry, but takes up to 7 minutes to fully sterilise...
[post="67432"][/post]​

Thanks Ross. This was just the info I needed. Where did you get it from? :blink:
Morgans told me that 1 day was the limit, but I suspected that this was only in their (sales) interests. :)

I would be careful trying to keep a solution of Morgan's Sanitize for any extended period. The hydrogen peroxide in it will degrade over time.

Kai said:
I would be careful trying to keep a solution of Morgan's Sanitize for any extended period. The hydrogen peroxide in it will degrade over time.
[post="67436"][/post]​

I agree that one should be careful Kai. I only intend to use the diluted sanitiser over a 2 to 2.5-day period so hopefully this should be ok. :) Time (pardon the pun) will tell.

:beer:

Tidalpete said:
Thanks Ross. This was just the info I needed. Where did you get it from? :blink:
Morgans told me that 1 day was the limit, but I suspected that this was only in their (sales) interests. :)
[post="67435"][/post]​

1 Day!!?? Would have been on the shelf for longer than that?? or am I missing something?

That's the concentrate, Ross. When you make up the solution to use, it's a different matter.

Kai said:
[post="67436"][/post]​

How long then Kai?? It's sold as a solution & has no use by date on the bottle. Would assume if it had a limited shelf life, it would be printed on the bottle??

Hydrogen peroxide is a stable product, heating it above 80c or introducing contaminants will shorten its life - For this reason I dilute it with deionised water, which gives it a long shelf life - I buy a concentrated form that dilutes 1ml per 1L in water to sterilise all my equipment - IMO the best steriliser for homebrewers on the market...

Kai said:
That's the concentrate, Ross. When you make up the solution to use, it's a different matter.
[post="67442"][/post]​

Sanitise is only a 3% solution, it is already diluted with distilled water...

Ross said:
Hydrogen peroxide is a stable product, heating it above 80c or introducing contaminants will shorten its life - For this reason I dilute it with deionised water, which gives it a long shelf life - I buy a concentrated form that dilutes 1ml per 1L in water to sterilise all my equipment - IMO the best steriliser for homebrewers on the market...
[post="67443"][/post]​

This is all most interesting Ross. You certainly seem very knowledgeable on this subject & I am keen to find out where you obtained your concentrated Hydrogen peroxide & in what quantity & how much was it? :) It would seem that the concentrated form has advantages over the "homebrew brand" type of product? :) What are the "contaminants" that you mention in the quote above?

Ross said:
Kai said:
[post="67436"][/post]​

How long then Kai?? It's sold as a solution & has no use by date on the bottle. Would assume if it had a limited shelf life, it would be printed on the bottle??

[post="67443"][/post]​

Ross,

Beats me, I was only supposing :) I generally use ortho-phos and surfactant for my sanitation, due to convenience. I assumed that H2O2 by nature would be more volatile, especially with a silver ion catalyst in the mix.

Maybe it lasts plenty long time with deionised water, but how many people do you reckon do that? Safer and easier to discard after a couple uses, I would think. And from what I can recall, if H2O2 gets up to 80C it can get quite explosive... dunno about concentrations though.

Tidalpete said:
This is all most interesting Ross. You certainly seem very knowledgeable on this subject & I am keen to find out where you obtained your concentrated Hydrogen peroxide & in what quantity & how much was it? :) It would seem that the concentrated form has advantages over the "homebrew brand" type of product? :) What are the "contaminants" that you mention in the quote above?

[post="67471"][/post]​

Tidalpete, contaminants as in dirty water or general cleaning - a google search on Hydrogen peroxide will bring you up a wealth of info including safety data etc...
I buy Hy-san - it's a product produced for the horticultural Industry - $24 for 1L - dilutes 1000 - 1 for disinfecting. Horticultural Solutions - 86 Duncan Rd, Capalaba. Tel 3206 0037. Contact Wolfgang Strube B.Sc.Agr(Hort.)
He's a keen homebrewer himself & is most helpful...

At $24 for a 1000L there's not much need to reuse it anyway...

Cheers Ross

This certainly sounds like the ducks guts. Anyone know of a source in the Sydney area?

tony

Anyone know if we can get this Hy-san stuff in the Newcastle area?

Otherwise what are it's active ingredients and are there any comparable alternates?

Back