No Qld Comp!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Graham Sanders recently announced that there will be no AABA-sanctioned Qld State comp held this year. As I understand it, this means there is no competition for Qld brewers to gain qualification for the AABA national comp, as the other states won't allow Queenslanders to use their comps for qualification.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is a sad state of affairs! What can be done!!??!! :(

Cheers - Snow.

Snow,
Graham emailed me and said he is looking into other ways of getting Qld entries into the Nats. Unfortunately it is too late for a Qld comp to be organised now, so we will just have to wait and see what he can come up with, I am sure he will do his best.

cheers
Andrew

Yeah I'm aware he was looking into other "ways", but I'm none too hopeful, unless he thinks the National organisers will allow hundreds of untried Queensland entries? Other than a properly judged qualification comp, there really isn't any other equitable way of picking qualified entries.

After a quick check of the Canberra Brewers website, I can't see any impedence to Queenslanders entering beers into the ACT State Comp, which is to be held later this month. This comp qualifies for the Nationals, so maybe if we get our beers down to Canberra quick-smart, we might be in with a chance.....

Cheers - Snow.

lets hope something happens, or we invade canberra en mass :)

Snow, Have you emailed the canberra organisers because this could at least give us a chance. I am waiting for an email to come back from the Nat organisers and when I hear from them I will let you know.
Cheers
Andrew

Oz, Ross? anyone else?
Get organised and have your own sanctioned comps. Maybe too late for this year but SOMEONE must stand up and do this?
Thank god for Mike Leupold in SA who has for years organised our comps. Without him and more recently a few other helpers, we wouldn't have a comp either.
Being a HB comp. convener is a thankless task. Adding to that you will need to put up with all the complaints from brewers. I think it would like being an AFL umpire without pay.
I raise my glass to Mike and any other conveners to HB comps.
CHEERS
darren

Keep us posted please guys - just started comps this year & already getting a bit disillusioned by the way things seem to be run up here...

QLD friends,

I feel your pain. I'd be more than cranky if I had some great beer that was worthy of a National trophy, and couldn't get it into a comp to judged beside its peers.

Maybe Kanberra might run a parallel comp for QLDers, or at least have parallel qualifying, so that quality beers from both QLD and ACT can enter the Nationals, without cutting the other out?

Seth :p

Darren said:
Oz, Ross? anyone else?
Get organised and have your own sanctioned comps. Maybe too late for this year but SOMEONE must stand up and do this?
Thank god for Mike Leupold in SA who has for years organised our comps. Without him and more recently a few other helpers, we wouldn't have a comp either.
Being a HB comp. convener is a thankless task. Adding to that you will need to put up with all the complaints from brewers. I think it would like being an AFL umpire without pay.
I raise my glass to Mike and any other conveners to HB comps.
CHEERS
darren
[post="76080"][/post]​
Darren,

I've certainly thought about the need for setting up a Brisbane-based State comp, but I've only been brewing for 3 years and I certainly don't feel qualified or experienced enough to be undertaking such a monumental task. Besides which, Graham Sanders has been running a fine comp in Townsville for quite a while, which was affiliated with AABA. There is another "State" comp held just outside Brisbane each year, but it is not AABA affiliated and you have to be a member of a club to enter, which I object to.

That said, if someone with more organisational capabilities (and time!) than me were keen to set up a comp, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand where I could!

- Snow

Dont how you Qlders will go in Act - I mean there are no warming of beers in their judging.... :blink: :ph34r:

You guys should do alot better :rolleyes:

Back