No head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noss

Reaction score
When I pour my beer into a clean cold glass it starts with heaps of head, but after 30 secs disappears to no head and resembles a flat beer. Yes my glasses have only had beer in them and all detergents have been rinsed. Any suggestions would be great.

For good info on cleaning beer glasses go to this really old AHB thread.

Pay particular attention to post #1 and post #12

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/3101-cleaning-your-beer-glasses/?hl=glasses

You may rinse with a mild solution of citric acid which may replace the vinegar if you wish.

Then if you sure that your glasses are really clean and you still have a problem then come back with the details of your brew recipe and brewing methods that is assuming it is your home brew that you are pouring into the glass.

I put my glasses through dishwasher cycle with no tablet. I thought this would b ok, cause of high temp it cleans at. I am doing a Coles lager( yes cheap but ok taste) 1 kg coopers dextrose. Bottles: bottled washed, rinsed, no rinse sanitiser and filled. 1 large scoop of caster sugar with measurer supplied. Hope this helps.

I will give that trick a try and see how I go.

Coles lager and 1kg dextrose will not hold a head, doesn't matter how you clean your glasses.

Research different sugar/malt blends, specialty grain, hops and temperature control.

I am not saying you have to use all of above, but they will all help.

Yup even the coopers brew enhancer 1 or 2 will give you better head than dextrose. Beer brewed with just dextrose is a bit like being married, if you follow me.

had the same problem using tins of goo.Did everything possible to my glasses but no difference.
Changed to AG and now got plenty of head that lasts all the way.Now I just wash my glasses in the sink with everything ordinary detergent and all ok.
Steep bit of carapils or other grain in there and should make a difference.
Plenty of guys do that and can tell you the best ways.

pcmfisher said:
Coles lager and 1kg dextrose will not hold a head, doesn't matter how you clean your glasses.

Research different sugar/malt blends, specialty grain, hops and temperature control.

I am not saying you have to use all of above, but they will all help.
What pcmfisher and wombil said.

I did some kits & bits brews and used BE2 and still had pretty quick disappearing head. The problem isn't the glass in most cases, it is the beer and the amount of protein. More Malt & more hops in general should = more head.

different malts can be better at head retention and stability, wheat being one that is easy and common. I made an extract beer with Coopers Wheat LME and Light or Amber LME and it has too much head if anything. Steeping crystal grains will also help.

Using Sugar will tend to give big bubbles (think soft drink carbonation), getting the sugar from malt will give smaller bubbles.

Hey guys thanks for the replays, I am really new to the game so can u help me with a few of the definitions yous used, what is 'AG' and 'steep bit of carapils' sorry for my novice.

If you click on the Craftbrewer sign above and go to the grains section you will see some of the grains are listed as 'steep' and some require mashing. You want the ones that say, 'steep'

No head... I have that problem at the moment, I may have to be nicer to the missus...

But as above, check out the cleaning of the glasses, also if you eat oily food before taking a drink can have a huge impact. Are you pouring from a keg or bottle? Crap taps foam up the beer more and initially looks like a nice beer, but the beer is flat underneath and results in a crap head retention.

What pat 86 is right,

I also find this a problem with kits and simple kilo additives. Also over carbing and running too cold can kill the head.

I found using coopers wheat extract cans to the brew helps heap as well as steeping grains helps heaps.

If you keg, don't go too hard on the carbonation and run in the 2 to 4 degree bracket helps as well.

Kegs I've done that poured too cold we're slightly over carbed and would end up dropping head and like fizzy drink.

Best results with kits were steeping, or adding brew enhances, and quality malt extracts like coopers wheat cans, then only slow carbing at 300 Kpa for 36 hrs and pouring at 3 degrees.

Also I find that even dry hopping 3 days into ferment has also helped with a creamy head, compared to not dry hopping.

Good luck.

i have to say I am totally stumped when it comes to consistent head. Out of the same brews the results can vary from great (creamy, lace down the glass etc), average, and then to nothing.Bubbles dont seem to be a problem, but head often is. I've noticed that i seem to get better results out of reused twist tops than my Pet bottles or even my flip top bottles, but even then its not always the same between bottles of the same type. Maybe it is the glass,. or ambient temerpature or how long its been in the fridge?? At the moment it seems like pot luck as to whether I will be drinking a heavenly brew or something a bit disappointing.

The temperature of the glass comes into play as well.

Quite a few years ago, when I was younger and perhaps a bit less wise, I used to put my heavy stein-like beer glass in the freezer.
It got to the point where I had my beer so cold, and the glass so cold, bugger-all head formed with a 'go-easy' pour.

squirrell said:
i have to say I am totally stumped when it comes to consistent head. Out of the same brews the results can vary from great (creamy, lace down the glass etc), average, and then to nothing.Bubbles dont seem to be a problem, but head often is. I've noticed that i seem to get better results out of reused twist tops than my Pet bottles or even my flip top bottles, but even then its not always the same between bottles of the same type. Maybe it is the glass,. or ambient temerpature or how long its been in the fridge?? At the moment it seems like pot luck as to whether I will be drinking a heavenly brew or something a bit disappointing.
That sounds a bit unusual. You should be able to get good head on your beers if you use some of the grains recommended for steeping with kit brews, assuming you are doing kit brews.

Thansk Beer God,

What is curious is that I get good head sometimes but not others from the same brew. I have never used grain but assumed things like maltdextrin had a similar effect as regards head.

Sounds like glassware.

Maltodextrin will help with head, carapils will do the same thing, oils from hops will help too. Wheat malt extract will also aid head formation and retention.

Latest posts

Back