No Gass In Bottles After 10 Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
howdy guys,well after 10 days in my warm conditioning fridge,IE, 20/24 deg my beer has no gass whatsoever.took the top off one yesterday for the first time and on opening not even a slight noise came from the bottle.poured into a glass and it was as flat as a pankake,not even one bubble,now this is where i am really confused this is the first ever
batch that i have had like this,i did all the normal things with this brew but no gass,now the tops are out of the same pack i have used before,they are all on tight,put the sugar in them at bottling,kept them in warm temp for 10 days,no gass anywhere .has anyone come across this before..now the only thing that has happened different was when i made this batch and tossed in the w34/70 yeast it failed to take off ,after 3 days i only had an ale yeast left so i put this in and within 12 hours it was away .after that i had a primary for about 6 days then into secondry for 12 days.og was 1042 with the fg 1016,ferment temp was about 18/20deg and i used safale s04 yeast,any thoughts would be appreciated
cheers
fergi

Ok a little unusual...Firstly, Did you look at a few bottles or just 1?

Have a look at the bottom of the other bottles, is there any yeast sediment?

Did you taste the smaple, Does it taste like there is to much sugar in the bottle?

Safale is a realy good yeast and i doubt that it pooped out...but what was your FG reading ?

G'day Fergi.

It's only been 10 days. I'd give them at least another week yet.

Also what do you sanitize your bottles with and how well do you rinse it out??

Warren -

thanks for the replys warren/ozbrewer,fg was 1016stable on that for 3/4 days.yes i have opened up another 2 bottles ,same result,and there is a layer of sediment on the bottom of all bottles,doesnt taste like too much sugar in bottles,when i have opened a bottle to drink i imediately rinse in hot water from tap,skake it all around tip water out,add more water ,shake again and then a final rinse,i use one shot steriliser which i have used for about last 6 brews,pretty careful with sanitation,any way thanks guys ill keep you posted as to what happens,ill give them another week,just wondering if no good in a week how would i go putting another dose of sugar in the bottles and giving them another shake up
cheers
fergi

Do I understand you have used the same batch of one shot for the last 6 brews

no rod,i have just started using one shot ,i make a fresh lot each brew,i have been using it fresh for the last 6 brews
fergi

:D Hi Just reading about your low gassing problems! Ive just got over the same problem recently, being that it was the rubber seal in my hand me down capper! I just swapped over the little bell bit that goes over the end and ta daa gas glorious gas! Hope yours is just as easily fixed
Craig

I was wondering about the quality of the seal on the bottles myself too.....I'd personally now get a keg setup and tfr the beer from bottle to keg...gas 'er up and drink! :chug:

best way to check the seal, is shake the ^%$# out of a bottle and turn it upside down

Whilst there should be some carbonation after 10 days at those temps I would do like Warrren has said and wait at least another 10 days. Ihave waited uo to 4 weeks in winter for some of mine to carbonate in the shed.

cheers
johnno

fergi dont forget it also winter in sa and if the beer is stored cold it will take longer to carbinate

thanks for all the replies here guys,i have all the bottles in my shed and they are all in a fridge with power off and i have a 40 watt globe in there .the temp is constantly around 22 deg so i would have thought i would have got a bit of gas by now,on looking closer at another bottle i do notice there is only a very slight film on the bottom of the bottle ,nowhere near what i usually get,anyway i will check them out in another week or so,i have shaken up a couple of bottles and i will see if they are any different from the others when i try them again
cheers
fergi

Latest posts

Back