No Frills low cost pressure fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second version of Fermzillas?

Or is it the third or fourth? How many versions of fermentasauruses were there before it was forked into fermzillas.
It's rhetorical question anyway.

I've heard of multiple people threading the lid bit by tightening the lid (it literally comes with leverage to do it tighter) trying to get it to seal, before the referred to the 6 page pdf on stopping the lid leaking.

6 page guide on using the lid..... it's a sign of failure. Change my mind :)

Or is it the third or fourth? How many versions of fermentasauruses were there before it was forked into fermzillas.
It's rhetorical question anyway.

I've heard of multiple people threading the lid bit by tightening the lid (it literally comes with leverage to do it tighter) trying to get it to seal, before the referred to the 6 page pdf on stopping the lid leaking.

6 page guide on using the lid..... it's a sign of failure. Change my mind :)
You may be getting the Fermentasaurus mixed up with the FermZilla, the new Fermetasaurus is now the Fermenter King, the FermZilla seems to be a lemon. Mine is now a terrarium.

You may be getting the Fermentasaurus mixed up with the FermZilla, the new Fermetasaurus is now the Fermenter King, the FermZilla seems to be a lemon. Mine is now a terrarium.
There is no more Fermentasaurus as we did not like the lizard thing. We have made big improvements so Brewers can make better beer.

I got laid off just before stage 4 and as I won't be able to afford to buy any beer for 6 weeks or more now would be a good time to try pressure fermenting...
So I ordered the two Fermenter King Junior for $99.00, a spunding valve and SS ball lock (they didn't have plastic in stock.) The fun begins!
I assembled the first fermenter with the spunding valve, and pressurised it. I then pulled the spunding valve apart, added teflon tape and some lube to the poppet and pumped it up again. It was still slowly leaking so I tried again and left it on the table... :'( Of course it fell off and with it being top heavy snapped the gas post off the keg! I assembled the other keg and while it was still leaking, it was too slow to find, so I thought I'd give it a go (I had started the beer anyway.) The next day the yeast had fired up great guns, but no pressure at all on the gauge. I removed the valve and took it inside to play with on my picnic keg. Eventually I found it was leaking in the ball lock fitting, while there is a little o-ring inside the cap, I had to add a bunch of teflon tape to get it to seal.
The beer is now well along the way and is no longer producing enough gas to maintain pressure, there must still be a very slight leak. I will probably pull it off and just periodically refit it to check pressure at this stage. I'm thinking of pressurising the mini-keg and putting the whole thing in the laundry trough like we used to find punctures in bicycle tyres?
The upside to all this is I should have drinkable beer in a couple of days, and I have half a sack of malt and plenty of hops.

Last edited:
Don't know if you have done it yet, but pull the posts apart and check the o rings are seated properly, thats where I found my leak to be.
Good point. They come disassembled, but I do remember the o-ring on the gas post being jammed around the top of the tube in the post and I have spares.

Good point. They come disassembled, but I do remember the o-ring on the gas post being jammed around the top of the tube in the post and I have spares.

Actually just on the post seals my 2x Snubnoses came with the posts already installed, however the gas post on one had the seal installed with the spring upside down. No big deal but pays to check, I normally disasemble everything and clean anyway but some people may think they can use straight out the box

As mentioned I find that they don't come ready to go, if there is a leak that is usually where you will find it, on the posts. Another tip for the snub nose is not to tighten the lid down to tight, just a nip is enough, helps lengthen the life of the seal.
The Juniors are a different set up with their lid.

As mentioned I find that they don't come ready to go, if there is a leak that is usually where you will find it, on the posts. Another tip for the snub nose is not to tighten the lid down to tight, just a nip is enough, helps lengthen the life of the seal.
The Juniors are a different set up with their lid.
Maybe take a look at the new Chubby units which will be available very soon now. Chubby Tank on the left and its a 30 litre job.

Attachments

• 774AD446-E3AD-4AEC-809C-F5FC4B092F4A.jpeg
    774AD446-E3AD-4AEC-809C-F5FC4B092F4A.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 123
Maybe take a look at the new Chubby units which will be available very soon now. Chubby Tank on the left and its a 30 litre job.
I like the look of these 👍
i use 3 KK juniors and luv them. Only issue I've had is the bottoms coming off after a few brews. Nothing a decent glue doesn't fix.

$50 bucks? I'd be a little wary on such a low price. Then again I want to brew some Cyser.
9lt batch. I can use my 11lt / half cony keg. That cost ~ $130 bucks etc.
I think people need to consider the long run over a fad and fail situation when comparing the various scenarios.
Buy the heavier hardware for long time.

Sorry but I am concerned of cheap quick fad crap. When people throw their money away on something so cheap that its not worth claiming on the warranty.

Someone (brewer) prove this product for endorsement. :)
I can confirm they are excellent!! I have 3 corny kegs and one king junior and I look forward to using the cheap crap!! 😀

Back