No Frills low cost pressure fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That one heats as well, what do you reckon a cost to make one would be?
I reckon it will cost about $150 to buy the bits but would also require the drilling of 2 holes in the lid as I’m planning to get a temp twister coil for insertion into the fermenter (Guten conical)

Here is what’s it looks like. Ideal for small or trial brews.

I'm liking the looks of these for sour beer aging. Is it possible to swap out the floating dip tube for a normal dip tube? It would be frustrating to see that thing just floating on top of some fruit!

I'm liking the looks of these for sour beer aging. Is it possible to swap out the floating dip tube for a normal dip tube? It would be frustrating to see that thing just floating on top of some fruit!
Couldn't to just swap the float for a weight of some kind

I reckon it will cost about $150 to buy the bits but would also require the drilling of 2 holes in the lid as I’m planning to get a temp twister coil for insertion into the fermenter (Guten conical)
tell us more? How are you building it, what are you using etc etc?

tell us more? How are you building it, what are you using etc etc?
Actually it would cost a bit more to build as the temp twister is $40, the unit itself is $125
Plus for pipe insulation, an esky first a water reservoir and some various bits and pieces
The unit it self is an aquarium heater/cooler from eBay
Instead of running the wort through the temp twister I plan on running the water from the esky through the heater/cooler unit into the temp twister & return to the esky

Actually it would cost a bit more to build as the temp twister is $40, the unit itself is $125
Plus for pipe insulation, an esky first a water reservoir and some various bits and pieces
The unit it self is an aquarium heater/cooler from eBay
Instead of running the wort through the temp twister I plan on running the water from the esky through the heater/cooler unit into the temp twister & return to the esky
What do you mean by "Instead of running the wort through the temp twister" I didnt think the wort was ever run through the temp twister??? I thought the temp twister sat in your wort and gylcol is pumped from the chiller unit through the temp coil and back to the chiller unit??

EDIT:- Scrap that question, I get what you mean now.

Last edited:
so you are telling me I can pressure brew x 2 daisy chained to a spunding valve in my fermenting fridge! Tell me more, when is stock due in?

I've been experimenting with pressure fermentation. I have modified a keg by shortening the dip tube and I fill it only to the 17 Lt mark with a Coopers Kit, 1/2 Kg of dextrose and 150 gms white sugar.

In the picture the fermentation is happening in the keg with the black tape around it and the gas is purging the serving keg beside it. The spunding valve is set to about 12psi.

When I put the brew together I add 3 drops of anti-foaming agent to prevent foam into the serving keg.

The results have been good so far although I had to work out the best pressure, too high and some of the hop flavours are suppressed.

PRESSURE FERMENTING.jpg

With a concentrated kit brew and keeping the pressure fairly low I'm getting a tasty beer made in 5 days, cold crash for 2 or 3 days and serve after that.

Back