No Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey all.
3 days ago i batched a couple of pilseners, one using Wyeast 2247PC Euro lager
and the other with 2782PC Staro prague

I came home just then from a weekend away, and upon inspection, found the staro prague brew showing good signs of krausen, however the euro lager looks karked it, no signs whatsoever, no krausen, no (bubbling! lol, had to write it)
Both are sitting at 11deg.

Is it possible the euro lager failed? Date of manafacture was early NOV 09, so it couldnt be an age issue surely?
Only thing i did notice was the smack pack only got about a quarter swelled (in 3 hrs), before i pitched it.

I gave the brew a gentle swirl just then, but im thinking i might have to drop a couple of packets of swiss lager dried yeast in there, or saflager?
Or is it worth giving it another day to see if activity starts?
I Havent had a brew take longer then 2 days to fire, so its concerns me a bit.
Is it necessary to boil up a bit of dex/LME, cool it and add that when i put the new yeast in? Or will it be all good to just dump the new yeast straight in?

Cheers

After some patchy results with Wyeast smack packs I always culture them up for at least 24 hrs in a sanitized Schott (lab) bottle with some LDME etc. Much as I love the yeast strains themselves that Wyeast put out, I do question the viability of some of the packs when they finally get to my brauhaus.

Recently I posted about a pack of Whitbread that I inadvertently froze for a couple of months. I was doing two brews so made up 2 Schott bottle starters out of the one pack and after a couple of days, no activity. I pitched another yeast into brew 1 and chucked the Schott bottle into it as well for some extra yeast nutrient. RIP dead yeast.

The next morning, the other Whitbread yeast starter had woken up and was krausening away :eek: Welcome back from the dead, dead yeast. :rolleyes: Both beers turned out fine, and I now have a monster yeast strain of half and half Whitbread & English ESB 1768 that's making some great beers.

Moral of story, if pack doesn't swell to almost spherical, prove it with a starter bottle and give it a couple of more days.

Edit: in your case Jigsaw you really need to be wary of leaving 'unprotected wort' and I'd definitely go the Swiss dried yeast - and rehydrate it as per instructions - and you should be right. Although the true lager yeasts are bottom fermenting that doesn't mean they don't krausen in the first days of fermenting - so no activity at all could be a worry.

I knew i should have made a bloody starter <_<
Will from now on.

I will leave it till the morn, if no signs, some saflager's goin in. Thanks mate.

Pitching content seems a little light on Jigsaw, 1 packet? did you build it up, starter?

Hey all.
3 days ago i batched a couple of pilseners, one using Wyeast 2247PC Euro lager
and the other with 2782PC Staro prague

I came home just then from a weekend away, and upon inspection, found the staro prague brew showing good signs of krausen, however the euro lager looks karked it, no signs whatsoever, no krausen, no (bubbling! lol, had to write it)
Both are sitting at 11deg.

Is it possible the euro lager failed? Date of manafacture was early NOV 09, so it couldnt be an age issue surely?
Only thing i did notice was the smack pack only got about a quarter swelled (in 3 hrs), before i pitched it.

I gave the brew a gentle swirl just then, but im thinking i might have to drop a couple of packets of swiss lager dried yeast in there, or saflager?
Or is it worth giving it another day to see if activity starts?
I Havent had a brew take longer then 2 days to fire, so its concerns me a bit.
Is it necessary to boil up a bit of dex/LME, cool it and add that when i put the new yeast in? Or will it be all good to just dump the new yeast straight in?

Cheers

What's the gravity? of each!

and OG of each at pitching.
Screwy

1053 and 1056 gents @ pitch
(1053 for karked brew)

I havent done a grav test since i came home. Probably a good idea though....

ok, just did, its still sittin at 1053... yeast must be buggered.

What's the gravity? of each!

Screwy

Hence the O/P, Why would your BOLD question make any difference, unless of course its a 1030 wort pitched at 11 deg with 1 packet of lager yeast. Clearly not so.
I dont get the BOLD UP thing.

Hence the O/P, Why would your BOLD question make any difference, unless of course its a 1030 wort pitched at 11 deg with 1 packet of lager yeast. Clearly not so.
I dont get the BOLD UP thing.

I imagine it is because j1gsaw hasn't done the only thing that can tell him with any degree of certainty that nothing is happening.

I imagine it is because j1gsaw hasn't done the only thing that can tell him with any degree of certainty that nothing is happening.

SO DO WE ALL TYPE LIKE FUCKWITS? IN BIG BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS

edit, the bums of AHB will always denigrate the site, no knowledge, just dole knowledge, losers whom frequent yet never deliver a good weekend beer, they only talk about it.
BUMS like this ruin sites, elitism, egotism, pissism.

He didn't post in caps.

And yes, you do. Frequently.

Haysie's back on form.

Sorry Jigsaw.

Hey also a new word in the English Language: pissism - actually I like it, it may catch on :)

Now now.... kiss and make up you two lol
The yeast is rooted... i know for sure now.
Cheers and have more beers.

ps, its all good haysie, i knew what screwy was on about, i should have known to do a grav check dammit, would have answered my Q without having to post.

losers whom frequent yet never deliver a good weekend beer, they only talk about it.

Sorry, didn't you get yours? I sent one to everyone else. I'd have a chat to your postie if I were you!

On another note, how would an ale yeast go in a pils? I have a couple of packets of so4 here, i could bump the temp up to 18deg and pitch i guess.
Or would a 100% Bohemian pils taste a bit ordinary using it?

Jig, yep it was a reminder of what others need if we're going to provide an informative answer to your questions. Bit of a wind up.

But I WASN"T SHOUTING :lol: :lol:

Screwy

On another note, how would an ale yeast go in a pils? I have a couple of packets of so4 here, i could bump the temp up to 18deg and pitch i guess.
Or would a 100% Bohemian pils taste a bit ordinary using it?

S04 is evil <_<

S04 is evil <_<

C'mon Bribie, help the guy out. There is nothing wrong with S-04. Brewing is about learning to use ingredients, yeast is one. Different malts and hops provide different flavour/aroma profiles, so do different yeast strains. Wouldn't go down the Ale yeast with a lager/pils mate. It may be too late, but you could mix 100g of DME with 1L of cooled boiled water and add some rehydrated lager yeast, once at high krausen pitch it. Hopefully your fermenter has been at low temp and well sealed and has not suffered an infection.

Cheers,

Screwy

C'mon Bribie, help the guy out. There is nothing wrong with S-04. Brewing is about learning to use ingredients, yeast is one. Different malts and hops provide different flavour/aroma profiles, so do different yeast strains. Wouldn't go down the Ale yeast with a lager/pils mate. It may be too late, but you could mix 100g of DME with 1L of cooled boiled water and add some rehydrated lager yeast, once at high krausen pitch it. Hopefully your fermenter has been at low temp and well sealed and has not suffered an infection.

Cheers,

Screwy

Sorry Screwy, he already said he had Swiss S-189 which would be a great choice, so the idea of using SO4 raised my eyebrows but you are right, we should help the gent. In the current situation, put the SO4 away for a UK bitter or stout but certainly bring out the Swiss dried lager yeast and it should do the job just fine. :icon_cheers:

Like some people I have a bit of a 'set' against S-04 as personally I have not had good results with it but shouldn't put brewers off from experimenting for themselves.

I have decided to just grab a few packets of saflager from the local HB store tommorrow,
im sure the brews are fine as they have been at 10-11deg and well sealed for the last 3 days, so i doubt any nasties got in.
I will just boil a cup of water, cool and make a yeast slurry and bung that in. Should be right.
I havent had a problem with wyeast up till now, but needless to say i will be making starters for every brew from now on.

Back