No chillers, how do YOU hop tea?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do you guys leave the wort in the cube before it goes into the FV

I no chill,so it's sealed up overnight or until it drops to 20 deg or so.
Then yeast added.
I also ferment in the cube.

I agree the citra was great.... Although I am enjoying the centennial ATM.

My last hop tea I poured everything into the fermenter including the green plant matter.

Does anyone think this will cause any concern?

panzerd18 said:
My last hop tea I poured everything into the fermenter including the green plant matter.

Does anyone think this will cause any concern?
This depends on the variety. What hop/s?

Won't matter, might just take longer to drop out and have a few floaties for the first pour (if kegging).

I have found hallertau and saaz hop matter to be grassy. Fruity american are ok.

EKG i think will be ok.

Like sponge says will drop out.

Markbeer said:
I have found hallertau and saaz hop matter to be grassy. Fruity american are ok.

EKG i think will be ok.

Like sponge says will drop out.
They are the two I'm worried about for grassy-ness, that saaz can be really bad.

Wouldn't doing a hop tea eliminate the massive advantage of no chill by adding another step and item to clean? I am thinking of going 50% no chill and hope tea ain't necessary to make a good beer!

motman said:
Wouldn't doing a hop tea eliminate the massive advantage of no chill by adding another step and item to clean? I am thinking of going 50% no chill and hope tea ain't necessary to make a good beer!
It's only an extra saucepan to clean. Without trying to preach it too much, the main benefits in no-chilling are:
  • not having to worry about pitching temps,
  • not needing an available fermenter,
  • having yeast ready.

The mini boil isn't mandatory, although you do end up using more hops in the cube than if you were chilling. It *is* useful if you haven't decided which hops to use for flavouring/aroma (ie - no cube hops), or if you later decide you want that extra burst of hoppiness.

If you don't mind diluting the wort, you can do the the mini boil using tap water (some will shout "philistine!" at this point and argue that I'm missing important interactions between the wort & hops, but I'm neither informed or experienced enough to have noticed it on those occasions).

If you cool the cubes to around 12-15* prior (ala outside during winter), then you can get away without even chilling the hop tea/mini boil. Tip the cube into the fermenter (aerate) and then pour the mini-boil directly into it. You can go from a one or two minute boil/steep of the hops to "chilled" to pitching temp in an instant.

Otherwise, if you want to pitch on brew day, and/or if you're a whole lot more organised and decisive than I am - go for chilling. It'll still be beer. :)

I ended up doing a mini-boil for a pale ale and didn't really notice much difference between that and the cube hopped version. I actually preferred the cube hopped one - had better bittering.

The mini-boil wasn't any more fuss, just one pot on a stove.

Mini boil - 60 minute and 20 minute additions in the kettle. Mini boil for sub 20 minute additions, then dry hop.
Cube hop - 60 minute and 20 minute additions in the kettle. Sub 20 minute additions in the cube, then dry hop.

I do about the same as hathro. I only cube hop if I'll get it in the fermenter the next day. Otherwise I add my under 20min additions at the whirlpool stage. I read an article somewhere about an American micro who added 90% of hops to the whirlpool, so I gave it a go. Wish I had the link.

Found it. I applied the ideas around temp range and adding the hoppy flavours. I had success with this when I did a double brew day and could only get one in the fermentation fridge. It spent about 10 days in the cube and was good. I did dry hop, but no more than usual.

https://byo.com/hops/item/2808-hop-stands

What about using a small jerry can, 2-5L, adding the late hops and topping up with hot wort.Leave it to do it's thing then chill in the sink/fridge.
Meanwhile no chill the rest of the wort and when ready to ferment pour mini jerry into cube or fermenter.

Honestly when doing a miniboil since you are cooling it so quickly you can use HEAPS of hops.

I have used 200g in under 5 mins in a 20l batch.

Super aroma and flavour.

In a barleywine it may be 300g in under 10 minutes.

But never do i dry hop.

Latest posts

Back