No Chilled, But Didnt Use Whirfloc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Got my second ag into the cube on the weekend, but now I think I may have made a minor blunder. I didnt have any (forgot to buy) whirfloc or irish moss, so at the end of my boild I cubed it, probably trub / break and all.

If I were to syphon out my wort when I am ready to ferment it, leaving behind anything that has settled in the bottom of the cube, is there a good chance I would be ok?

Next time I'm going to make sure I have everything before I start! LOL!

Hi Guys,

Got my second ag into the cube on the weekend, but now I think I may have made a minor blunder. I didnt have any (forgot to buy) whirfloc or irish moss, so at the end of my boild I cubed it, probably trub / break and all.

If I were to syphon out my wort when I am ready to ferment it, leaving behind anything that has settled in the bottom of the cube, is there a good chance I would be ok?

Don't worry about it. I imagine the trub should settle out in your cube just fine, maybe give it at least a week. When it comes time to ferment, just pour the wort into your fermenter and when you start pouring trub, stop.

You can tell you're pouring trub because the colour will change

Simple :)

Hi Guys,

I went through a phase where I would forgot my whirlfloc 1 in every 3 brews. I always still dumped the entire cube into the fermentor, the crap will drop out. Never can notice any difference in the final beer.

QldKev

shouldnt matter too much, i have omitted whirlfloc b4 with no problems except for some extra trub in the fermenter

It will be fine. I stopped using whirlfloc and I couldn't detect any difference in my final beers.

I no chill and I've never used whirlfloc etc, keep thinking about just don't get around to it.
Just get a heap of crud on the bottom after the ferment is finished.

I've forgotten to use irish moss the last couple of times I've brewed.
It may be cloudy, but I'm not really bothered. It still turns out delicious.

I've forgotten to use irish moss the last couple of times I've brewed.
It may be cloudy, but I'm not really bothered. It still turns out delicious.
So hot break into the fermenter isnt a problem?

"Relax. Don't Worry. Have a home brew."

It will settle in the cube/jerry and it will be easy to leave behind when you pour it into your fermenting vessel. I have done this on a couple of occassions and have left behind a litre of wort with the trub, all went well with the brew.

Also, I have forgotten about the settled trub and poured it into the fermenter. Again, all went well with the brew.

Of all the issues that you could have with a brew, this one is on the "Relax. Don't Worry. Have a home brew" list.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Don't worry about it. I imagine the trub should settle out in your cube
just fine, maybe give it at least a week. When it comes time to ferment,
just pour the wort into your fermenter and when you start pouring trub,
stop.
You can tell you're pouring trub because the colour will change
Only issue is if the crap gets above the tap you need to drain it out the way first.
QldKev
Or if you have another clean & sanitised cube, can use it to oxygenate
your wort before fermenting - pour half into the other cube, cap, shake
the brownies out of it and then into the fermenter.

Repeat with rest of wort but watch for when trub start to pour out. Some
trub might be good for yeast health in any case.

T.

Back