No chill question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcqueen

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm in a situation at the moment where the brew fridge is full and so are my kegs :) I have avoided doing no chill for the time being, but whilst I have a few weeks off before I start the new job, I though I would try and bang out a few more brews.

So it brings me to the point of no chilling it. I've read the low down on the forum regarding the method. I just want to know if the below is suitable. They are 23 litres. I was hoping to put 20 litres of wort into it, will headspace be a problem? I live in Perth and would be keen to find the 20l cubes I have seen in common use, does anyone know a good place to get them?

Thanks in advance..

You can squeeze 23L into a 20L cube, being in Perth you could probably pick one up from Bunnings.

If you were in NSW, VIC or QLD you could go to here

Could always brew 23l and bottle the leftovers. I have a 25 L cube and manage to squeeze the xs out when doing a 21l batch, the cube ends up pretty deformed though.

Air- filled headspace is no problem at all, don't be concerned about it affecting your beer- it won't. Use any excess wort for yeast starters, whether it is gained at filling or pitching.

I found by putting some timber under one side of the cube causing it to sit on an angle I could fill it right up to the brim with wort and did not have to squeeze the cube at all. No deformity at all.

Very very small headspace left over. It was a 20L cube from a fresh wort kit that I grabbed from another member, so I guess 22L or so into the cube.

I got mine from Bunnings in Malaga.

Easy enough to squeeze the extra air out. I do 40lt batches into 2 cubes, 20 ea. Just put them up against the wall with the lid at the highest point and squeeze the air out with your knee. Use a towel or something though as they'll be pretty hot to touch.

Beerbuoy said:
I got mine from Bunnings in Malaga.

Easy enough to squeeze the extra air out. I do 40lt batches into 2 cubes, 20 ea. Just put them up against the wall with the lid at the highest point and squeeze the air out with your knee. Use a towel or something though as they'll be pretty hot to touch.
Cheers for the info. I'll be down there this arvo..

Back