No Chill - Possible Airborne Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggs

Reaction score
Hey guys, did my first BIAB on Monday and dropped it into my cube for no chill (laying it on both sides and getting handle coated), all looked and it sucked in as it's supposed to do and stayed that way.
This morning I have had a look at it and it's started fermenting! There is a krausen and the cube was totally stretched out!
Could I have picked up an airborne yeast particle that lay dormant for the 6 days?? I haven't opened the cube since sealing it (have done so now to release the pressure).
4871f9f2.jpg

3bcf5498.jpg

if there is only 5L in that jerry it's not no chill

you need to pretty much fill it to the cap or / and squeeze out "all" the air

should look more like this

finalproducttransferredtocubetocoolovernight.jpg

It's actually about 10 as I was trying to go small batch before full. Is this the issue?

Should I have not no chilled, or made sure it's a full 20+lt batch?

NB when i first did it I squeezed all the air out and it was really sucked in for about 5 days

full batch or get a 10L jerry from bunnings

i have used these and they work well +-12L

hard to say what the cause was for sure if you got all the air out
but maybe the 10L was not enough heat to kill every thing as it cooled to quick in there ?

Will do, is there any way to save this one?

Will do, is there any way to save this one?
I'd GUESS not, as it's started fermenting from a wild yeast that must've snuck in somehow. But you could always call it a sour, and hope for the best.
How did it smell when you vented the gas? Are you brave enough to have a taste?

I actually no-chill straight to the fermenter. Once the temp has dropped I pitch the yeast.
I'm not sure if it's ideal, but it works for me.

Wishing you better luck with future BIAB's. It sucks hard tipping AG out.

It's screwed, chuck it. The more air left in the container the more chance viable yeast cells will survive and begin replicating/fermenting your beer. I would also check the volumes, unless that's a 40L containers it appears only just over 1/4 full.

Have you fermented beer in that cube before? Or used that tap on a fermenter?

What surprises me is the fact that the yeast survived the hot steam and liquor, tough little buggers thats for sure.

i gotta ask, why would you no chill 10ltr's of wort?

half an hour in the laundry sink with some ice and rotating water would probably get it to pitching temp. that cube would be great for airating (shaking the shit out of it) and just fermenting straight in it.

As mentioned, cubes of all sizes are available from Bunnings, I have a couple of fives and a ten which come in handy for various tasks (the ten is full of water and is my fermenter fridge bottom shelf so the FV sits above the compressor hump in the fridge and a five full of water stops the laundry door from banging :lol: . Quite cheap.

I didn't have the fridge space to get this in, as I have a full size fermenter in now.

Smelt fine, tasted really sour and nothing like when I cubed it. Have dumped it.

Pissed because it cost me a fortune buying in small batch, lesson learnt I guess.

Another option if you regularly do small batches is to get a solid SS stockpot with a tight fitting glass lid (Aldi get them in a few times a year) - they make brilliant no chill vessels in the sink and I've got some starter wort that I reboiled and sitting in the Aldi pot in the fridge right now, to make a starter shortly. They cool down very quickly due to the SS as opposed to the insulating effect of plastic.

I regularly no chill 10 -12L. The Willow 10L jerry is ideal, got mine from bigW.
With 12L in it you don't have to do much squeezing if at all.

Shhhhh. You might have him get his drill out. Then all the pales are doomed!

Water jacket bucket in bucket plastic chillingator.

How did you treat the cube before use? PBW? Star-san??

Did you know that air is a really bad conductor of heat?

Back