No Chill Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb83

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a co-chill-cuber and I was thinking of brewing a couple of lagers now the weather is getting cooler.
Does anyone out there brew a lot of lagers using the no-chill method?
How bad is the DMS? I boil for 90 when I make pilsner malt-heavy brews. Should I increase the boil to 2hrs?

Cheers,

Michael

It shouldn't make any difference re DMS, its more your fermenting temp with the lager AFAIK.

Not wanting to get into a DMS slinging match though... so the above is just my 2c. :icon_cheers:

It shouldn't make any difference re DMS, its more your fermenting temp with the lager AFAIK.

Not wanting to get into a DMS slinging match though... so the above is just my 2c. :icon_cheers:
...think you're confusing DMS with diacetyl.

90 minute boil should be OK. Most Pils barley we use is 2-Row, which is less inclined to produce DMS than 6-row used in the US.
Having said that, I've never No-chilled a lager, though I'm sure that plenty have, with the general recommendation that you boil at least 90 minutes.

You won't have any problems no chilling a lager.

I've no chilled both my real lagers which I'm bottling tomorrow. Taste samples so far have been sweet as. To avoid diacetyl you need to raise the temp for a few days before cold crashing down to lager temperatures but that is a completely different issue to DMS.

Its going to depend on the levels of SSM in the malt you use. As a general thing your genuine Euro pilsner malts are going to be higher in SSM than Australian malts and might be more of a problem.

That said, I have made several light lagers using no-chill and had no problems with DMS at all. None that I could detect in the beer. BUT have not used European malts.

I know that its been done and done successfully, so its certainly possible even with the higher DMS malts, but I would make sure your 90 min boil is a good strong one or even, as you suggest, go with a 2 hr boil. Just to be sure. It depends on whether you are concerned about the colour getting too high. Long boil + no-chill is going to equal a somewhat darker beer. It'll be a trade off between the two.

I think that you will fond a suitable compromise though.

Thirsty

Back