No chill ipa recipe advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for your feedback. I finally got around to brewing this yesterday, and just pitched it into the fv this evening.

It was a learning experience to say the least :lol:

Recipe:
IPA
BIAB, no chill, crown urn

6kg Gladfield American ale
150g caramunich

20g Galena @60 minutes
120g Cascade cube
60g Galaxy cube
80g Cascade dry hop
40g Galaxy dry hop

MJ’s M42 new world strong ale

Mash 90 minutes at 64c

Target stats at 65% efficiency:
Volume: 20L
OG: 1060
IBU ~ 70
ABV: 6.4%

Actual stats:
efficiency 56%
Volume: 20L
OG: 1052
IBU ~ 70
ABV: 5.5%

This was my third all grain batch after a couple of smash pale ales in which I was hitting around 70% efficiency. Based on those batches I thought 65% for a bigger grain bill would be good to aim for. A couple of things I noticed:

- Its far more difficult brewing beers with bigger grain bills, the pale ales were easy and a great place to start. It's gonna take some practice to get consistency on an IPA
- need to be careful of cut outs on the urn due to larger amounts of sugar. During the boil the urn cut out sometime around the halfway mark when I wasn’t watching it. Gave it a scrape and all was fine but when I drained the urn of the trub there was a thick black crust of burnt sugar on the concealed element. This took about half an hour of very hard scrubbing with steel wool to remove.
- the near 200g of cube hops took a lot more fluid than I thought. When I drained to the cube, I estimated I had around 21 litres, 1 litre more than planned but I ended up on target.

Fingers crossed this turns out a nice beer, I’ll report back on results when its ready.

So it was a bit of a bummer to be so far off my targets but I'm not to concerned about that at this stage. What was really annoying was the burnt crap on the element, cos jebus that was hard to get off. I certainly don’t want to have to do that each time I brew a heavier beer. For those of you that are brewing bigger beers (>6%) in the crown urn, how do you stop this from happening? I'm assuming just give it a scrub a couple of times prior to and during the boil..

Latest posts

Back