No chill in corny keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in my experience, the beers that I've no chilled in corny, then transferred have worked out very well.

However the two that I've fermented in there have had issues - mostly the inability to pull enough of the trub out to ever get clear or clear tasting beer. It's unlikely I'll do any more. Obviously if you wanted to devote a keg to just fermenting, it would work fine as you could shorten the diptube but I often have multiple batches fermenting at once.

Belgian Golden strong has haze issues despite gelatine and polyclar (which I never use) and extended time in the cold. I am going to transfer this to a barrel fermenter today, give it a few more days for trub to settle then re-keg. Mild is all gone and while it was OK, I never got that UK brightness I get from 1469 and there was a decent amount of sludge at the end of the keg.

I'll go back to fermenting directly in cubes and transferring corny NC wort to cubes or barrel fermenters. I had hoped the process would be nice, simple and uncomplicated but unfortunately it isn't with my current set-up.

Sums it up nicely I think too Mants.

I've got myself 2 more cornies (thanks ciaron) for NC etc but reverting to unpressurised ferment. Don't think our clearing agents are up to the task for these, might be good for the filtering mob.

Old thread revival. It's the closest I've found on here to my question I'm hoping others have thoughts on;

No chill into Kegmenter, say 80 degrees Celsius, what's the medium to long term impact on the rubber top and bottom?

I tend to rinse my legs with water about 70 Celcius and have even thought that is probably damaging the post seals. I'm okay with shortening the life of the post seals so long as I'm not getting decomposing rubber in my beer. I'm less okay with the rubber top and bottom separating from the stainless steel after a few dozen brews.

Unlike a hot rinse that exposes the keg to maybe 70 degrees for 10 minutes, no chill into a keg with say 17 Litres of juice at 80 degrees is going to expose the keg to several hours, even in a fridge.

Yea I figured that, or otherwise leave the PRV in the open position. More a case of whether anyone is doing what I'm proposing to do routinely over the long term without issues.

Latest posts

Back