no chill - didn't have enough wort to fill cube - how much of a pr

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozz

Reaction score
Had a big brew day yesterday. Knocked out 45L, chilled conventionally and got it away in the fermenter.
Thought I'd get ahead and run a second batch but try no chill it.
I made another 46 Litres of wort and added to my 2 x 20L water jerries.
The second jerry ended up only half full..
I think its a common problem with hot wort making the jerry balloon out and increase its volume.

Any way question is having a big head space of air going to stuff my wort?

So between lids not sealing properly and not having enough wort my first go at no chill wasn't as smooth as planned.

Sorry, this looks like an old question. Just did a proper search.
The consensus seems to be don't worry about it, it will be fine.
It's in the ferment fridge coming down to temp and I'll pitch ASAP and see how it goes.
But still interested to know if anyone has had any issues with oxidation because of too much air in the cube?

Fwiw, I've flushed out lines and pump using freshly boiled water out of the (regular kitchen) kettle that's helped make up the volume to 18-19L, when I've fallen short of filling a cube. Meant that with some squeezing most air is gone, and the cubes have been fine.
I also tend to brew for say 25L then reduce it down to 20L to cube it. So adding a litre or 2 of water is fine. May not be the same for you.
You're a bit too short for just an extra litre or 2, but it might help in future.
I think so long everything stays over 80*c for at least 30mins it should've ok.
I think there's a thread on here somewhere involving Heat Sterilizing Units - how many you need and how long at what temp it takes.
In terms of oxidation, not sure. Not great in assuming, mainly for hops components. If it's a more malty beer it might be totally fine. If you're pitching within a day or so it'd possibly make no difference.
Report and let us know how it turns out!

Next time you could try splitting the wort evenly between the 2 cubes before sealing them. That way, any ballooning should leave the same amount of headspace in each cube. This small headspace should be able to be eliminated by squeezing the cube with your legs and then screwing the cap on. Remember to use a towel so you can squeeze without being burned.

Just pitched this brew by top cropping yesterday's brew. That's a first for me too so this will probably turn out the best brew ever but unrepeatable.
I had 42 L into the fermenter so lost a bit to the trub which didn't help.
The jerries I used were the rectangular shaped ones which swell out. Next time I'll use actual cube shaped ones and have a bit more wort on hand.

Mozz Kookaburra branded water cubes in 20l variety from BCF are awesome. After their first no chill they handle 23l. 21 on the maiden run.

Cheers diesel. I've sourced a couple of heavier duty cubes with better lids. Waiting for the arrival of new BIAB bag and I'm running my Virgin all grain. The last brew has kicked off well in the ferment and I reccon I've got away with it. Looking forward to running double BIAB batches into no chill cubes. Sounds good on paper. If it works = my new system.

I just did my first no chill/cube. I think of it like canning (the home style way). Minimal headpspace at high temperature like 90c plus. Flame out boil then decant (rack) is what I did. I understand that the best cube has no head space.
I squeezed out as much air as possible then sealed. This is the interesting part: Their was still a small amount of air left inside but when it cooled over a day the bubbles left inside got dissolved? So now I think I have a successfully cubed fresh Wort. There is ZERO! headspace in the cube. I'm happy with that, it will be some days before I pitch and ferment.

Dan, the cube shrinks overnight. If you have the seal right on the lid (dont over tighten when hot) then you will know when you have packaged one right. You can keep them for a fair while. I normally pitch next day in case i bugger the seal up, but a good one I would keep no worries. If it starts swelling up down the track, then time to kiss it goodbye!

Sounds like you packaged that one spot on.

Cheers,
D80

are you worried about O2 in the head space? i have purged the head space with co2 before... no worries!

If Ive got any head space in a cube I usually roll it around a little to ensure the hot wort touches all surfaces. Same idea as danscraftbeer = old school canning.

Second degree burn from this approach using a pail. Too much head space. Volumetric increase due to air temp rise blew bucket up from lid, spewing near boiling wort on me.

No more headspace for my future storage brews;, fark you gas phase and my stupid brain head face!

Cubes, only go cubes. Decrease gas amount in cube by compressing the sides as much as possible. If gas remains, roll cube to heat air, watch expansion carefully, release pressure accordingly, when all gas heated compress cube again and seal. When it cools, the walls will be sucked in, but no burnies!

Shit that's a shocker zorsc_cosdog.
By the way. The beer turned out fine and has been long dispatched. I don't stress about head space but plan my volumes better so the cubes are at least mostly full.

Back