No Chill cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjt29

Reaction score
Having read another post on a UK forum about no chill cubes (I've used these for most of my AG brews) Was wondering how long people have left the wort in the cube for?

I usually brew the beer put into a cube, let it cool to room temp around 24 hours then transfer into a fermenter and pitch the yeast. What's the longest you have left the wort in cube for?

Cheers
Jay

4 days for me I just can't wait to pitch some yeast at it
Even then I was cursing I couldn't get to it earlier

Some a couple of weeks, some 6-12 months. Haven't fermented those ones yet though.

Just depends on what is in them and what I have going on.

I've had some for around a year. I normally brew double batches and brew more when I can and then need fermenter space to become available. Never had any issues with the older ones either. As long as your cleaning and sanitizing process is sound there is no reason they would go off.

wide eyed and legless said:
I am a no more than 48hrs man.
I'm a brew 75l-100l man.. I don't have the capacity to ferment 3-4 batches at once.... er.. OK well.. I do actually but that's a lot of the same style to have ready at once..

If fresh is best, then fermenting at an 'as needed' basis is a good way to go, hence my cubes tend to age until needed.

;)

I have never done this but would love to build up stock over winter. Couple of questions 1) is ambient temperature critical when storing the cubes? 2) do you normally store say15 litres of wort and add the rest when fermenting? 3) the cube is filled to "overflowing" ie no air or use co2?

Could be wrong grott, but I have read that some store them even though the temperature may fluctuate, I would imagine light would be a factor, I would assume storage would have to be in the dark. A 20 litre cube has a head space of 3 litres so you brew close to the 23 litres, squeeze out the air with your knees so the liquor comes up to the top and put the cap on.

grott said:
I have never done this but would love to build up stock over winter. Couple of questions 1) is ambient temperature critical when storing the cubes? 2) do you normally store say15 litres of wort and add the rest when fermenting? 3) the cube is filled to "overflowing" ie no air or use co2?
1) Probably not best to store them too hot for too long... I keep mine in the shed, but on the lowest shelf in the hopes it is cooler there over summer. Don't let them freeze :)
2) You can get a bunch of different sized cubes, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 etc. You can mix and match, brew over-gravity and top up with water, split a big cube over multiple fermenters, ferment *in* in cube... many many options!
3) Always best to squeeze out as much air as you can, and ensure that you leave the cube on it's side for a while after filling, so as to ensure hot contact with the handle/lid space. Also means you are now brewing to a particular volume, not gravity... so be aware this can affect the brew day. I make 60/90 min additions, but then (usually) no more until flame out, although sometimes I make a guess for 10min, based on assumed boil-off. Cube or kettle 0min hops tend to count for ~15/20 min additions in no-chill brewing anyway, can let kettle temp drop to say 80 to get better flavour/aroma & less bitterness out of your cube hops.

Edit: Beaten by weal! :) Yes, light is a factor... but also save yourself from a burned crotch/knees and put the cube up against a chesty/fridge/solid wall/etc and just press in the side with a (booted) foot (no thongs ya mug!).
In the event of spillage, I tend to spray it off the threads with a liberal amount of starsan so there is no sugary goodness on the outside to harbour moulds/infections.

Longest I've stored for was around 18 months. It was a Russian Imperial Stout and spent a while as one end of a shelf in the garage. Eventually hosed the cobwebs off and it went on to get second highest points in a New South Wales comp.

Probably a few months is the longest I've had one stored for, although I seem to recall a lager batch sitting in a cube for about a year. So either one of those. Usually though, they get fermented within a few weeks. I have none full at the moment, doing a brew day on Saturday so that batch will only sit for a bit over a week before being fermented. I have four cubes all up, two 20L and two 25L ones, but as long as there is always one ready to go in to the FV when it's empty, it's all good. :D

Yob said:
I'm a brew 75l-100l man.. I don't have the capacity to ferment 3-4 batches at once.... er.. OK well.. I do actually but that's a lot of the same style to have ready at once..

If fresh is best, then fermenting at an 'as needed' basis is a good way to go, hence my cubes tend to age until needed.

;)
Im the opposite as well single batch brewer so struggle to keep up with demand on the hotside

Can ferment 4 single batches at once so cold side allways seems to be waiting especially when the kegs are pouring

Jay, do any of the new breweries in Leeds do a good approximation of Tetley's in its glory days from the handpump with a tight sparkler?

Bribie G said:
Jay, do any of the new breweries in Leeds do a good approximation of Tetley's in its glory days from the handpump with a tight sparkler?
Despite what the kids of today would say, a pint of well served and conditioned Tetley's was a cracking pint. My old local, the Blues Bar in Harrogate had their Tetley's nailed and it was as good a pint as any you'd find. I'm sure bearded CAMRA types would disagree somewhat though.

Bribie G said:
Longest I've stored for was around 18 months. It was a Russian Imperial Stout and spent a while as one end of a shelf in the garage. Eventually hosed the cobwebs off and it went on to get second highest points in a New South Wales comp.
Bloody nice RIS it was too Bribie. I remember sharing a bottle at Bacchus with yourself, Ross and Ralph a year or so back.

As far as storing cubes I have found that as long as your sanitation is up to scratch and you fill them right up with no airspace they will last for years.

Last year I scored a first place in Babbs comp ( 46/50 ) with an IPA that had endured 2 Queensland summers in the shed.above 40 degrees at times.
Backed that up a few months later with a 44/50 in the specialty IPA class ( rye IPA ) That one was a bitt fresher at around 14 months in the cube.

With a 110lt system I am often fermenting the last cube of a batch 12 to 18 months after brew day. No problems at all and no noticable taste differences.

Cheers,
Smoko

Back