No Chill Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoopWoopYank

Reaction score
Do I need to purchase spigots at an additional cost of US$3 and some change for each? The cans are $10 apiece and very similar to your own from what few pics I have seen. Hard to find here for whatever reason.

You only need taps if you plan on pouring them out that way.
I just take off the cap and pour into my fermenter.

If you dont want to go for taps, do yourself a favour and try to find cubes without the bung hole drilled, one less place to clean.

For no chill containers, you simply need something that is HDPE, air tight and the right size (remember that the hot wort will deform the container a bit, and you can usually get an extra 15% or so in.)

I use HDPE jerry cans that the local brew shop sells.

http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart...42420&QOH=7&CATID=272&CLN=1&keywords=no chill

I dont use a tap, I just tip it into the fermenter through a hop spider to help filter out as much trub and cube hops as possible.

It is a little tricky to tip up though as it is quite heavy when its full and quite slippery. It would probably be easier to drain it from a tap.

Unless you're planning on fermenting in them as well, in which case you'll need a tap. And a blowoff tube.

These things are a godsend! Best sub $10 buy ever! Aerate and pour... CLEANLY!
ret5356_tap_in_cap (1).jpg

What will they think of next? Bloody marvellous that is. Wonder if it would fit on my jerry can style cube?

The site has something very similar looking only the description is rather vague. Might just get 4 and the tap that resembles what you posted, at least for now.
Thanks everyone.

Should fit a jerry too if it uses the same caps. The spout can be moved independently so will work will with a jerry.
Find your local Plasdene as Keg King are out of stock.

What will they think of next? Bloody marvellous that is. Wonder if it would fit on my jerry can style cube?

Yep I use one on my jerry can... They're also available from swimart (and possibly other pool shops) as they're used to empty cubes of chlorine into pools.

I just recently bought one of these cube-tap-lids, and it is such an improvement for pouring a full cube into a fermenter

Have a pool store within a mile. Will check it out.
We went through a month of drought in May and now it won't stop raining from gulf hurricane. Rednecks and hooker's are washing up.
Pool shop should likely offer a kit to check ph levels.

good thing you have a government that is so concerned about climate change and the environment, he might get on that if ever builds that wall before he gets impeached.. wait is this the continuing rant thread? but yeah im sick of wiping down my fermenter with sanitiser after a sloppy decant, i might get one too.

I'm still waiting on a reasonable explanation as to why Hitler fought the Brits in N.Africa.

I'm not full on no-chill but I think it will work well once I get it all gathered up.

Dont know much about geopolitical history either but i think it was about supply routes. North Africa is just a stones throw across the Mediterranean to Europe. or maybe he was searching for ancient Egyptian artifacts to create some sort of undead army.

Can I join the conversation without adding a witty political quip?
I have 20 litre cubes at work with truckwash, I think with a good rinse they should be ok.
What say you?!

Hi BrockHops,would be tempting to use cost wise-the main problem I could see is fully cleaning/removal of the truck wash from the cubes.Would hate to have to tip batches onto the garden for the sake of saving a couple of dollars/having beer tainted by whatever was in cube before hand.My limited understanding of plastics + chemicals is the cube can absorb parts of what it contains.My 2c's worth,Rob.

What he said

For the cost of a new, untainted cube, I'd just be buying new (or at least limiting my reuse options to something which had food in it)

Thanks guys,
Bunnings it is!
Does anyone know about any food that is supplied in cubes?
I know a few chefs and could pick them up cheep!

Back