No chill. Can anyone write give me the rules.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkpentreath

Reaction score
Just got water bill for the month and and have three fridges running at the moment so I think I will give no chill a crack. R there any hard and fast rules with hops eg. Ones to use and ones that down handle a long steep. Cheers.

opinions vary on the effect it has on the hops but the general experience is to expect reduced aroma, and assume 10-20 mins worth of hop utilisation. have a read of this article & the accompanying thread.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/23742-ahb-wiki-the-no-chiller-method-using-a-cube/

also if you want to regain late-hop aroma, have a crack at this method in conjunction with no-chill

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/55801-late-hopping-and-no-chilling-guide/

personally I'm fond of cube-hopping and get better results using flowers.

Cheers buddy . Was thinking of boiling the hops in a smaller pot that I could easily chill in ice water then add that to the cube. Pipe dream maybe

Chuck em in the cube... You want the cube sealed while still at high temp don't open unless you intend to pitch..

The biggest problem with no-chill is the extension of hop utiluzation times.....ie 0min kettle addition becomes effectivly a 15-20min addition. Really screws up recipies if not taken into account. The idea of boiling your 5 & 0min additions seperatly and adding direct to the fermenter before yeast pitch is about the only way.

I let the cube cool naturally then I place in the fridge for 1 day. Then once the cubes cold I boil 3 lts of reserved wort. To this I add 10/5/0 min hop additions.Then I add hot hop liquid strait to fermenter then cold cube on top. This gets me to 15/18 deg every time.

I think it's great,the wife not so much.

I just dont understand why women dont like it when you boil hops and malt on the kitchen stove. Gives the kitchen a wonderfull aroma.

Yep she's learning. And I tell her it's better to use the natural gas inside, instead of the lpg burner outside.

Reserving some wort and doing a separate boil does the trick. Especially with English ales where they traditionally do a 10 minute addition, this can be done over 10 minutes with the reserved wort and chucked straight into the fermenter, and replicates that addition very well.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
Yep she's learning. And I tell her it's better to use the natural gas inside, instead of the lpg burner outside.
Cheaper too.

Yep hitting up the 10 min hop addition in a baby pot ill can cool with ice water in sink. I think I will do the same as a dry hop after primary is finished ? Hmm. Any one do this.

Is the key to no chill locking out the air, Anything bad happen if you put the wort straight into the fermenter with the usual amount of head space, do this **** it. Or is that more a long term preservation measure,

You can no chill in the fermenter, I actually used to do that when I lived in the UK, ambient of 9 degrees during half of the year will do it nicely :p

However you need a truly sanitised fermenter, cling wrap it and refrigerate it when it gets down around 40 degrees and be ready to pitch immediately it gets to 22 degrees or thereabouts.

You should be lucky nine times out of ten.

The benefit of no chilling in the cube is peace of mind and not being forced to pitch. I've got a couple of cubes I filled last Friday, still havent pitched. They are actually sitting in the fridge at 3 degrees just as an extra insurance policy.

Ok I've star San ed the whole show its in the fridge cooling. With the airlock in and starsan solution in the air lock. Made starter Munich wheat ale, but think I might wait till this heat wave is over. Cheers

Bribie G said:
You can no chill in the fermenter, I actually used to do that when I lived in the UK, ambient of 9 degrees during half of the year will do it nicely :p

However you need a truly sanitised fermenter, cling wrap it and refrigerate it when it gets down around 40 degrees and be ready to pitch immediately it gets to 22 degrees or thereabouts.

You should be lucky nine times out of ten.

The benefit of no chilling in the cube is peace of mind and not being forced to pitch. I've got a couple of cubes I filled last Friday, still havent pitched. They are actually sitting in the fridge at 3 degrees just as an extra insurance policy.
Most of the time I do this.

Even in BNE I could wake up in the morning and pitch yeast straight into the fermenter full of now cooled wort.

Transfer off the break to CC. To me it's a better way to minimise infection from air exposure as the fermented beer is what's transferred & immediately cooled.

Might you be missing out on aeration if you do it that way? Or do you give the fermenter a bit of a slop around or a hit with an airstone?

Liam_snorkel said:
Might you be missing out on aeration if you do it that way? Or do you give the fermenter a bit of a slop around or a hit with an airstone?
Rehydrate my yeast - I don't aerate the wort in these instances (though I do if I chill), just give the yeast a good stir before pitching - usually takes off after a few hours.

Latest posts

Back