No Chill And Hops.......another 'newb' Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
So I was doing my first ever BIAB Friday night and with a bit of help from the good folk here, all was going fine. I get to 0 min and add the last of my Amarillo and then wonder to myself......so now what do I do?
A) - cube it, with all hops I've put in throughout the boil - leave overnight throughout no chill process
B.) - cube it, with just the 0 min hops - leave overnight
C) - cube it, leaving all hops in for 'a while' ??? and then remove
D) - cube it, removing all hops except the 0 min hops and leave them in for 'a while.'

Sooooo - what was the correct answer? Can someone let me know so I can smack my hand on my head when I realise I chose the wrong option....
Chris.

So I was doing my first ever BIAB Friday night and with a bit of help from the good folk here, all was going fine. I get to 0 min and add the last of my Amarillo and then wonder to myself......so now what do I do?
A) - cube it, with all hops I've put in throughout the boil - leave overnight throughout no chill process
B.) - cube it, with just the 0 min hops - leave overnight
C) - cube it, leaving all hops in for 'a while' ??? and then remove
D) - cube it, removing all hops except the 0 min hops and leave them in for 'a while.'

Sooooo - what was the correct answer? Can someone let me know so I can smack my hand on my head when I realise I chose the wrong option....
Chris.

E)- allow to cool slighly while thermal currents stop, whirlpool then siphon/rack/drain to cube.

as yum beer has eluded to, assuming you know that you would be best advised to let hot currents slow, then whirlpool, let sit for a few minutes before cubing then your correct answer is A.

Answer B isn't actually technically possible if your asking that from a "if i don't take them out will it increase bitterness" POV.
It's the oils you're releasing from the hops, not necessarily that green sludge that creates the desired effects from hops.
Even if you pull you hop sock out, your still gonna be getting isomerisation and extracting bitterness, flavour or aroma - time dependant.

Definitely don't do C or D, as this would involve opening up a newly filled cube of wort, and (temperature dependant on "a while") could increase the risk of infections.

My 0 minute hops go into the cube before I transfer the wort. Right or wrong? It all tastes pretty good anyway!

Keg hopping is my next adventure. :icon_cheers:

My 0 minute hops go into the cube before I transfer the wort. Right or wrong? It all tastes pretty good anyway!

If yuo want to get a similar effect of 0min hop addition as though you were traditionally cooling your wort, then yep, i'd throw them in the cube and then transfer the beer on top of them.

OT:
Just brewed an 100% cube hopped Citra PA.

Tastes nice in the fermenter, but it was really weird not throwing any in during the boil, and dumping 50g of Citra in the cube, transferred wort on top of them. The smell coming out or the cube's neck whilst transferring was simply divine.

So 0min hops are best added into the cube with the hot wort on top? Is this ok to do when I intend to store the cubed batch for a few months?

How does a traditional 0min hop addition work? I only no chill

How does a traditional 0min hop addition work? I only no chill

It's also called a flameout addition, as in it's added as soon as you turn off the heat to the boil, hence the term(s) flameout / 0min addition.

In what's considered a more traditional approach, the wort would be chilled at this point as fast as possible using an appropriate cooling device such as immersion chiller, plate chiller etc...

The difference in time between these two approaches (chilled vs no chilled) is considered to be roughly the equivalent of 15-20mins longer isomerisation time in a no chill environment than a more traditional chilled method.
that's why no chillers (like me) throw the hops in 20mins later than the recipe tells us to. Or, we calculate our shorter hop times to have an equivalent IBU contribution as a hop addition of 20mins earlier. Doing it that way, we can just put our recipe together as we intend to brew, and then the brewing alarms (if you use brewing software) will alert us at the right time to add hops, instead of having to manually adjust our thinking to add them later.

Hope that all made sense...

Thanks, and do you have answer for this one -
So 0min hops are best added into the cube with the hot wort on top? Is this ok to do when I intend to store the cubed batch for a few months?

Not completely sure to be honest. If you did an addition during whirlpool or just before it maybe..you would still get similar utilisation of the hop oils, but you'd leave most of the hop crap behind in the bottom of the boiler.

That much i can tell you would be fine to do and store your cube for months...up to a point anyway.

Not sure what the difference (if any) it would have if you stored long term with the hop debris still floating around inside.

My brain tells me it's most likely a better method to trap some of the aroma by cube hopping, but i have no sciencestiffic data to back that up.
I like the thought of screwing the lid down on the cube and keeping all those smell good things in the cube. As i said though, just how my brain works, and i could well be wrong.

EDIT: forgot to add, i don't store my cubes for any length of time. Seldom more than 3 or 4 days. I typically brew and then pitch yeast the next day.

Back