No Chill 0 Min Hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm re-necroing this thread.

I've not been happy with my last few IPA - basically for the last 8 months (when I Brewed one with my brother at his place).

Water additions, a staggered IBU attempt to get the punchy hop aroma, and last beer was keg hopped - an improvement but not a fantastic beer.

What has been my bread-and-butter in terms of I could do it with my eyes closed and better than the commercials has suddenly gotten very ho-hum.

So I've been thinking. I wonder if the 100% 0 min cube hopping is the problem. It seems counter-intuitive that too many late addition can impact on hoppiness, but I wonder if somewhere in the process, no purely or mostly bittering additions don't have a chemical reaction with the wort to render it more likely to absorb the 'hoppy' aspects of hops. Whether that is break formation, or some other aspect of isomerisation.

Reason is, that the staggered IBU beer ended up being less 'hoppy' - from a purely subjective point of view, despite the pure time x hops factor indicating that it should be otherwise, hence my conclusion above that there are other factors regarding wort stabilisation that may contribute.

I'll experiment with that, say 20IBU of bittering and then no-chill cube hop the rest.

When no chill cube hopping, for your 20 IBU do you just boil that for an hour per normal, but nothing else until the cube?

How long do you boil for if you did 100% cube hop?

Is it possible that the character of your hops has started to dull due to time, temperature or oxidisation?

From what I understand the maximum utilisation and highest IBU isomerisation is at 90 minutes, the maximum flavour contribution is at 20 minutes the maximum aroma contribution is at 7 minutes. So what I am considering trying is adding more hops and boil for the final 20 minutes after the oxygen has dissipated from the wort for the IBU's. Drawing off some wort or even just boiling in water the flavour contribution, boiling for 20 minutes and the aroma hops boiled for seven minutes, rapidly cool, no chill the wort as per normal and the following day add the flavour and aroma hops to the 'no chill wort' then pitch the yeast. Just a thought.

When no chill cube hopping, for your 20 IBU do you just boil that for an hour per normal, but nothing else until the cube?

How long do you boil for if you did 100% cube hop?

Still boil for 60-90 minutes as usual, I just don't hop it until the cube.

Is it possible that the character of your hops has started to dull due to time, temperature or oxidisation?

Grain to brain in 7 days, with 80g of hops in the keg.

Not likely to be that.

Ok, worth bearing in mind that those factors can also impact the quality of hops in storage.
The citra was a fresh pack in this case, but I know some of my hops are getting there, albeit I'm pretty good with sealing. When I lived in Tasmania, getting hops was a bulk Yob affair, so I got good at it.

From what I understand the maximum utilisation and highest IBU isomerisation is at 90 minutes, the maximum flavour contribution is at 20 minutes the maximum aroma contribution is at 7 minutes. So what I am considering trying is adding more hops and boil for the final 20 minutes after the oxygen has dissipated from the wort for the IBU's.

Oft quoted, but I can prove that the first is wrong (the actual maximum is at about 4 hours) and I strongly suspect so are the other two. The five or seven minutes for aroma sounds to me like it was actually derived from doing aroma adds right at the end of the boil but leaving enough time for the hops to react with other proteins so that they fall in the trub.

I find that I really like the flavour contribution from cube hops, though I should add the caveat that I cool the wort to 80 C before cubing.

Latest posts

Back