Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

No bubbling but not too fussed...should I be?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Support' started by HowlingWolf, 8/5/19.

1. HowlingWolf

Posted 8/5/19
    So I put my brew in the fermenter on Sunday arvo, temp has been pretty consistent at 20 degrees and I can see action happening on top of the brew and some movement in a hydrometer reading I took this morning...but...no bubbling. Fermenter is air tight as far as I can tell, the sample I took for the reading smells ok and tastes as it should so far. Should I be more concerned than I am?

2. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 8/5/19
    When you say air tight are you suggesting there is no movement of gas in or out? I would be presuming there has been co2 getting out, otherwise you would be writing about a different problem. What was the reading on the hydrometer?

3. JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.

Posted 9/5/19
    If you're seeing signs of fermentation (i.e. krausen formation) and the gravity is falling then you beer is fermenting as it should be. If it tastes and smells OK, then you're also on the right track.

Airlocks are notoriously unreliable as indicators of fermentation, as the CO2 produced by fermentation will take the path of least resistance out of the vessel, which won't necessarily be through the airlock.

Believe the gravity changes, not the airlock.

I haven't used one for years. I just put 2 layers of cling film over my fermenter and secure with the large rubber ring that sits inside the lid.

JD