No bubbles yet from brew....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I started a ew batch of amber ale yesterday.
Created the wort from the Maltsters Shovel Amber Ale from the Brewers Choice website.

Got the temperature down to 22 degrees to be able to pitch the yeast and set the fermenter temperature (Fridge with home made controller) to 18 degrees as suggested for S04 yeast and amber ales on a few forums.

Its been roughly 24 hours now since I pitched. And I see no bubbling.
I know it might be slower to get going because of the temperature, but should I be worried?

Its my most "advanced" brew yet, using grains etc and I dont want to have to throw it out :(

Thanks in advance for any advice at this point.
Cheers
Gib

Forget the bubbling to gauge fermentation. Did you biff the yeast in dry or rehydrated? Makes a difference with me. Relax it will start soon enough. Toss the air lock bubbler and lid. Use glad wrap and the lid o-ring to secure the glad wrap around the thread OD. Less to sanitise and you can see in no problems and look at that funky yeast.

Oh - get the temp down to 18 :)

As Cube said, don't rely on the airlock bubbling to tell how fermentation is going. It doesn't take much of a leak anywhere around the lid for the CO2 to find an easier way out. Even overtightening the lid can cause leaking.
If you can make out a layer of Krausen forming on the top of your wort you will know it is doing something good.
24 hours is really not a very long time to give the yeast to get going, it can take longer especially if you only use one packet of yeast or you don't aerate your wort before pitching.
Aerating can be done by stirring vigourously with a sanitised spoon or shaking your fermenter. This will help the yeast build up the numbers it need to ferment out your beer.
Not sure I would be suggesting ditch the lid and go gladwrap at this stage in your brewing but it is a viable alternative down the track.
So RDWHAHB. I'm sure your beer will be fine given some time.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks guys, I did pitch the yeast dry and aerate nicely, the lid is on nice and tight.
Fridge is already at 18 degrees, I love that STC1000....
I'll play the waiting game.
Cheers!

MrGibbon,

In your hydrometer you should trust (unless it is broken :p).

Cheers,
D80

Eek, prob just getting over excited but still no signs of life after 48hrs.
Not much of a layer of Krausen forming on the top either... very thin.

I rarely get too much of a krausen to be honest and due to a split in the lid (even after being taped up) I no longer get any airlock activity. Day 3 tomorrow.... take a sample and if it's dropping leave it be. If not maybe rouse again or pitch some more.

Kit??

Yeast??

Ingredient list??

Take an sg reading iv had brews I thought were doing nothing for days and its cos they weren't as they were finished......

Some attenuate quietly some go boom......

Can u smell beer in the fridge or co2 smell ???

Usually signs.... But nothing will tell you more than your hydrometer, if you don't have one...... Then how can u brew beer?? :)

I had a brew that was dormant for a few days, I decided to pitch more yeast and it came to life.

As others have said, take a hydrometer reading, or several and you will soon know if anything is happening.

ahhhh I would like to commend everyone who posted a response to this young brewer.

No aggression, only a few mentions of kittens and best of all a friendly welcome...

Mr Gibbon good luck with the brew, I am sure it will turn out just fine.... huzzahhh!

Oh god, i used gladwrap and there are still kittens!
bad_boy_bubby02%5B1%5D.jpg

This is the recipe and method I used....
Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
500g Dextrose
Pale Ale grain pack
12g Morgans Fuggles hop "T bag"
1 sachet Safale S04 Yeast

Procedure:
1) The night before, place 5 to 10 liters of water in clean sealed containers in the refrigerator to cool.
2) In a bowl, add the grain to 1 liter of near boiling water (but not boiling), mix well and let steep for 20 minutes.
3) After steeping, pour the grain and liquid through a strainer and collect the liquid in a saucepan.
4) Bring the liquid to a boil and once boiling add the Fuggles hop bag to the pot to boil for 10 minutes. Remove the hop bag and put it to one side.
5) Add the Light Dry Malt and Morgans Royal Oak kit to the fermentor. Use the hot grain liquid to rinse out the can and dissolve the other ingredients. Stir well.
6) Top up the fermentor to 23l using the chilled water from the fridge and tap water to achieve a final temperature between 20-25 degrees. Stir well making sure the mixture is well aerated.
7) Sprinkle on the yeast, tip in the hop bag, seal the fermentor and ferment at 18-20 degrees C for the best results.

The only thing I did different was to mix the wort, dry malt and kit malt in the pot I had the wort in. It took ages to get it all stired in, and the heat was on slightly to help it all blend together. Thanks, god bless the kittens, wont somebody think of the kittens!

hmm ok, I realise now I didnt add in the 500g dextrose.....
But then again, it doesnt say to in the recipe!

Can I add it now? Oh lordy!

MrGibbon said:
hmm ok, I realise now I didnt add in the 500g dextrose.....
But then again, it doesnt say to in the recipe!

Can I add it now? Oh lordy!
MrGibbon,

don't worry about adding it. beer will be lower alc but no dramas.
Have you taken a hydrometer reading yet?

You mention you have seen a small krausen layer developing? This can only be a good thing right?
Next time i would rehydrate your yeast in some cooled (to about 30-35) boiled water. It will allow it to wake up properly before being added to the wort.

Careful though, if you rehydrate it at 30-35 then tip it into 20 degree wort it will shock it to sleep, inhibiting its adjustment to the new environment. Edit: so rehydrate it for 15 - 20 mins then slowly add some wort to it until it is down to about 25 degrees (or let it sit covered until it is 25deg on its own accord).

Cheers,
D80

I'll take a reading tonight when I get home. Hmm, what to take out the sample with though...
I have a couple of hydro's but not a tube to put the sample it, or take one out properly!

Back