No Bubble Noises

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard

Sth Seas Pirate Brewery
Reaction score
warning - havnt brewed for 5 weeks :(

i put down an esb 1.7kg bitter with a safale yeast on late wed night. i put the safale previously into a cup of warm water & a teaspoon of malt to give it a headstart. after 15mins it was nice an milky.

the next day krausen was forming. tonight its still going, thou not strong. usually its bubbling away by now but no bubble noises. in fact the airlock doesnt show any pressure. the lid is on reasonable tight and the temp is about 21'c. the og was 1050.

ive done ebs kits before thou cant remember if they were slow.
am i just out of touch & being too impatient... ?

(or could it be the dreaded bad fermentor seal... ? )

[and yes, i did remember the dextrose & malt... :p ]

Hi Redbeard,
If you used Safale S-04 it may be just about finished as this is a very aggressive yeast, you haven;t given any SG Readings apart from the OG, My suggestion is to take a SG Reading , wait 24hrs and take another, if no change it has probably fermented out, i would guess that as you said it was a 1.7 kg Kit you probably put in about 1.5 kg fermentable to reach OG of 1050, you could probably expect an FG of about 1008

Hope this helps
Cheers
BradT :beer:

thanks BradT, it was safale s04. the current sg reading is 1033 so its got a few more days left yet. i actually put in 1kg of dextrose & 200gm of malt.

i did throw the 1st 100ml of wort out of the tap, which i thought should give me an accuate reading on the next 100ml. the wort was aerated a lot by filling the fermentor with tap water via hose.

i know coopers yeast really chews thru a wort, but thought safale was also pretty hungry. so perhaps some mmore detailed notes are in order. guess ill see what happens over weekend.

cheers

update:

fermi is now happily bubbling away (after 4 days). the current reading is 1022. there is still some krausen on top, about half of what is was in 1st 2 days. i'll just put it down to long weekend weirdness.

Back